Honored Contributor

It is still cool enough here to have soup.  I tried this recipe yesterday.  It is out of cookbook I checked out the library by Siri Daly.  I love this and hope some of you do also. 

2 t canola oil
16 oz sweet Italian pork sausage, casing removed
1-1/2  cups chopped white onion
1/2 cup diced celery

2 t minced garlic
2 t chili powder
2 t ground cumin
1 t Kosher salt
3/4 t black pepper
1 T flour
3 cups chicken stock
2 (4 oz) cans diced green chiles, undrained
2 cups blue corn tortilla chips
6 T sour cream
1 large avocado, diced
1/4 cup cilantro leaves

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add sausage and cook stirring to crumble until browned (4-5 minutes).  Add onion and celery.  Cook until tender and slightly browned (4-5 minutes).  Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt and black pepper and cook stirring constantly for 30 seconds.  Stir in flour and cook stirring constantly for 1 minute.  Stir in chicken stock and undrained green chiles.  Finely crush half of the tortilla chips and stir into the soup.  Bring soup to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium-low.  Simmer about about 15 minutes.  

Top each serving with a dollop of sour cream, diced avocado and cilantro sprigs.  Sprinkle with coarsely crushed blue tortilla chips.  

The recipe called for sliced jalapeno chile sliced also for garnish if you want to add extra heat.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing....I'll be making it.

Occasional Contributor

Hi Jannabelle!

Thank you for sharing such a great recipe! I'll ask my wife to cook it for today dinner ;]

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne    Thank you for posting this yummy recipe.

@Ult1mat3X   Welcome to the boards!  You will find some great folks and tried and true recipes of all kinds.

@jannabelle1   Good morning all, and happy Thursday.