Honored Contributor

Another month has flown by and it's now May!  It's nice to see nature starting to stir including those plants that are valiantly fighting their way through these pop up snow storms . . . Smiley Wink

I see our friend @walker  thoughtfully suggested a wonderful ingredient to start off our May recipe fest:  avocados (excellent choice!).  Let's hit the ground running for warmer weather recipes:

Tomato-Basil Soup

1 teaspoon olive oil

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes w/basil, garlic & oregano

1 can (15 oz) low-sodium tomato sauce

1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon dried basil or 8-10 fresh basil leaves, shredded

4 ozs (half of reg block) CREAM CHEESE

salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat.

Add onion and cook for one minute.  Add diced tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, vegetable broth and sugar.  Cover pot and bring to a boil.

Cut CREAM CHEESE into 1" cubes and add to soup.  Re-cover pot, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes to allow cheese to melt.  Uncover pot and use a whisk to stir soup until CREAM CHEESE is all melted and fully blended.  Stir in basil.  Serves 4.   (If using fresh basil you can add some to soup as garnish.)

Optional....Grilled Cheese Sandwich on the side! 😋

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... AVOCADOS 

Honored Contributor

Chocolate Avocado Mousse 

(smooth, creamy, chocolatey - you'd never know it contains avocados)

Ingredients:
2 large Ripe Hass Avocados 
1/2 cup Cocoa Powder 
1/2 cup Coconut Cream
1/2 cup Swerve Powdered Ultimate Sugar Replacement 
1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract

1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon

Pinch of Nutmeg
Pinch Of Pink Salt 

Instructions:

Avocados should be large - 350 grams of flesh required. You will need 2 1/2 medium avocados if you can't find large ones.

Add all ingredients to the food processor and blend until creamy. Divide into 6 servings. A serving is slightly less than 3 oz.

I like to garnish it with some sweetened heavy whipped cream and maybe a sprinkle of keto friendly chocolate chips.

Next Ingredient: BONELESS SKINLESS CHICKEN BREASTS 

Honored Contributor

Creamy CHICKEN BREASTS

4 CHICKEN BREASTS, boneless, skinless, split

8 thin slices Swiss Cheese

1 can Mushroom Soup, undiluted

1/4 cup White Wine

1 cup Herb-Seasoned Stuffing Mix, crushed

1/4 cup butter, melted

Arrange CHICKEN in a lightly greased 13x9" baking dish.  Top with cheese slices.  Combine soup and wine; stir well.

Spoon sauce over cheese.  Sprinkle with stuffing mix.  Drizzle butter on top.  Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 45-60 minutes.

NEXT INGREDIENT .... SPINACH

Esteemed Contributor

@walker  I learned that chicken breast recipe from my mom back in the 70's. She couldn't remember where she got it. I've used it countless times, and it's always a hit! It's great for taking to someone in need of a meal because it's so easy and kind of elegant at the same time. 

NEXT INGREDIENT: SPINACH 

Honored Contributor

Re: MAY 2022 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

@PA Mom-mom ....you know that is probably about the time my mother had recipe given to her from a friend.  I've always liked it and think of them when I fix it.  

Moving along.....

SPINACH Pasta Salad

2 cups Penne Noodles, cooked and drained

3 cups fresh SPINACH, torn

1 cup cooked chicken, cut in strips (optional)

1 cup sliced strawberries

1/2 cup sliced red onion

1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

1/2 cup Balsamic Viniagrette Salad Dressing

Cook pasta, drain, rinse with cold water and drain again.  Place SPINACH in bowl and add pasta.  Toss lightly to combine.  Add the rest of the ingredients and mix gently.  When ready to serve, drizzle with dressing tossing lightly to coat salad.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... BLUEBERRIES

Honored Contributor

@walker 

You never fail to post recipes that "speak to me", lol.

I copied that creamy chicken recipe immediately and I'm looking forward to trying it asap.

Next ingredient: Blueberries

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@TOMATO SOUP IS MY FAV!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Next ingredient:  mushrooms

Honored Contributor

@walker 

I made your creamy chicken this week and it was delicious.  We made sandwiches out of the leftovers the next night and it was just as good... maybe even yummier.  Thank you for the recipe - it's a keeper.

creamy swiss cheese chicken.JPG

Next ingredient is mushrooms.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat ....thank you for letting me know you tried and liked that chicken recipe!  Guess it is an "oldie but goodie"..😉.  Moving along here......

Filet of Beef Stroganoff

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon garlic salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 1/2 to 2 lbs. beef filet, cut into cubes

5 tablespoons butter

1/2 cup onion, chopped

8 ozs. White MUSHROOMS, sliced

1 shallot, minced 

1 clove garlic, minced

1/4 cup dry white wine

1/2 cup beef broth

8 ozs. sour cream

Extra salt and pepper to taste

Mix flour, garlic salt and pepper in small bowl.  Put beef in large bowl then gently coat the meat with the flour mixture.  Set aside.

Heat butter over medium heat in large pan.  Sauté the onion until almost golden brown.  Add MUSHROOMS, shallot and garlic and brown lightly.  Add beef making sure to turn meat on all sides, about 4-5 minutes.  Remove the beef and set aside.  Add wine to pan and stir until all the pieces are free from bottom and sides of pan.  Add beef broth and stir until heated.  Turn the heat to low and return beef to pan; stir gently about 1-2 minutes.  Slowly add sour cream and stir until heated through, about 2-3 minutes.  Serve over hot noodles.  Serves 4-6.

Note....I have other Beef Stroganoff recipes so added other things to this recipe such as 2T of tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce.  I also added more beef broth and did not have shallot to add to it.  

NEXT INGREDIENT .... STRAWBERRIES