Honored Contributor

In this fresh summer salad recipe, sweet corn and honey balance nicely with tomatoes, avocado and lime juice. Bring it along to your next summer picnic or pair it with grilled shrimp or chicken for an easy weeknight meal.

Active:
20 mins
Total:
45 mins
Servings:
Ingredients
Ingredient Checklist
  • 3 ears corn, husks removed

• 1 medium poblano pepper

• Cooking spray

• 3 tablespoons lime juice

• 1 tablespoon honey

• ½ teaspoon ancho chile powder

• ½ teaspoon salt, divided

• ¼ cup avocado oil

• 1 medium tomato, chopped

• ¼ cup crumbled cotija cheese

• ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro

• 1 avocado, chopped

• 6 cups coarsely chopped romaine lettuce

DirectionsInstructions Checklist
    • Step 1

Preheat grill to high (450 degrees F to 500 degrees F). Lightly coat corn and poblano with cooking spray. Grill, uncovered, until lightly charred and tender, 10 to 12 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove the corn from the grill. Continue to grill the poblano until it's totally charred and blackened on the outside, 3 to 5 minutes more. Let cool for 10 minutes.

• Step 2

Whisk lime juice, honey, ancho chile powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in avocado oil until blended. Set aside.

• Step 3

Cut corn kernels from the cobs. Peel the poblano and remove and discard the seeds; coarsely chop. Toss the corn kernels, chopped poblano, tomato, cheese and cilantro together in a medium bowl. Fold in avocado and season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.

• Step 4

Toss romaine and 3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette together in a large bowl; transfer to a platter. Top with the corn and avocado mixture and drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette.

Next Ingredient: RED ONION

Trusted Contributor

Re: MAY 2020 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

This is a different, savory addition to breakfast.

Sweet Potato Hash   (source- FN)

1/4 cup vegetable oil (i add a couple pats of butter)
2 cups red onion, thinly sliced
2 cups red bell pepper, diced  
2 lbs sweet potatoes, quartered and cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup green onions, chopped

Pour the oil into a large nonstick (or you will need to boil water in pan to de-glaze/clean it) skillet and place over high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and sauté, stirring, 2- 3 minutes.

Add sweet potatoes, cumin, salt and red pepper flakes, lower the heat to medium-high, adjusting accordingly, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender and some are browned.

The potatoes will begin to stick as they cook. Just continue to turn with a spatula. Stir in half of the green onions, top with the remainder, and serve immediately.

Next ingredient-- Buttermilk

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

BUTTERMILK Mashed Potatoes  (Ina Garten recipe)

Kosher salt

3 lbs. boiling potatoes, such as Yukon gold, peeled

1/2 cup milk

1 stick butter

3/4 to 1 cup BUTTERMILK

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

In large pot, bring 4 quarts of water and 2 Tablespoons salt to a boil.  Meanwhile, cut potatoes into 1 1/2" cubes and add them to the boiling water.  Bring water to a boil again, lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes, until potatoes fall apart easily when pierced with fork.

Heat the milk and butter in saucepan, making sure it doesn't boil.  Set aside until potatoes are done.

As soon as potatoes are tender, drain them in a colander.  Place a food mill* (if you have one) fitted with small disc/blade over a heatproof bowl.  Process the potatoes through the food mill, turning the handle back and forth.  As soon as potatoes are mashed, stir in the hot milk and butter mixture with a whisk or rubber spatula.  Add enough buttermilk to make potatoes creamy.  Add 2 teaspoons of salt and pepper to taste; serve hot.

* I do not have a food mill.  Mash as you normally would do...mixer or potato masher.

NEXT INGREDIENT .... VANILLA EXTRACT/FLAVOR

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

1-2-3- Sugar Cookies

Ingredients:

1 stick butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups self rising flour

In a large bowl, cream together the softened butter and the sugar.
Once smooth, add the eggs, vanilla and combine well.
Add the flour to the butter / egg mixture a little at a time. Mix until the dough is smooth and flour is fully incorporated. 
Cover the dough with plastic wrap so that it is touching the surface of the dough.
Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Overnight is fine. 

If you want to freeze the dough, you can do so at this stage.

I like to roll this dough into small balls and flatten with a glass dipped in sugar!

Bake at 350 degrees for 8 -10  mins.

Next ingredient:  Bacon

Honored Contributor

@Zhills 

Thanks for posting that last recipe.  Something about it just made my heart happy. I think it's because it evokes memories of a simpler time, when we didn't have the worries of this world on our shoulders.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat   You are so right, house_cat!  Wish I had a nickel for every one of these that went into my oven when my children were home.  Warm cookies, friends and loads of laughter.  Live was easy and fun!

Don't discount taste because they are so easy.  They are delivious.  Kinda morish.....

Trusted Contributor

@Zhills ,

What temp are the cookies baked...350°?  What's the baking fime and about how many will your recipe yield?  And lastly, can recipe be successfully haived?  Thx!I

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@vabreeze   Sorry 'bout that!  When I wrote this down, a kadrillion years ago, I was baking so many cookies it was automatic!  Thanks for catching that mistake!

Recipe edited to add Temp and Time.

Bake at 350 for 8-10 mins

Honored Contributor

Animal Style Roasted Cauliflower

7FC30F82-F561-4719-9271-18D332955EB0.jpeg

This is one of our favorite sides, roasted cauliflower topped with a savory sauce, cheese, caramelized onions and crumbled bacon…outrageous!

Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time33 mins

Course: Appetizer, Main Course, Side Dish
Cuisine: American
Keyword: cauliflower, gluten free, keto, low carb, roasted cauliflower
Servings: 8
Calories: 298kcal
Ingredients
  • 2 large head fresh cauliflower cut into florets
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. pepper
For the Sauce:
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise your favorite
  • ¼ cup sugar free ketchup
  • 1 Tbsp. dill relish
  • ¼ tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/8 tsp. Pyure Sweetener see notes**
Toppings:
  • 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/3 cup diced onion, browned & caramelized see notes**
  • 2 slices crispy bacon, crumbled
Instructions
To cook the cauliflower:
  • Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Place the cauliflower florets onto a parchment lined sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper. and toss to coat.
  • Bake at 400, stirring occasionally, for 30-35 minutes or until tender and the florets start to get nice and golden brown!
To make the sauce:
  • Combine the mayo, ketchup, relish, garlic powder and sweetner and stir well to combine.
To assemble:
  • After the cauliflower is golden brown and tender, place the cauliflower on a platter or pan, drizzle with the sauce and top with the shredded cheese, caramelized onion and crumbled bacon. Enjoy!
Notes
** Pyure sweetener is twice as sweet as sugar.  If using a 1:1 sweetener, you will need to use 1/4 tsp.

** To caramelize onion, place 2 tsp. butter and the diced onion in a small skillet over medium heat.  Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are tender, translucent and golden brown.

All nutrition information is approximate and will vary based on ingredients used.

Nutrition

Serving: 1cup | Calories: 298kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 27g | Sodium: 457mg | Potassium: 487mg| Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 1mg

Next Ingredient: HUMMUS 
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GenXmuse wrote:

33866D64-73DF-4740-9606-9D85039F150D.jpeg

Here are a few recipes for Kudzu from the Atlanta Constitution. It is an invasive species and readily available at no cost in the south! Lol

Next Ingredient: Pepperoncini or banana peppers

I'm soon to be 70 years old, grew up and still live in NC, have seen kudzu growing everywhere in the country all my life and never knew you could eat this stuff..  Wow!!  But don't think I'm interested.. Will stick to my turnip greens and collards!!  Have any of you cooks ever tried this???