Honored Contributor

Image result for mothers day food images

Lemme see 30 days has September, April, June and November . . . hey wait a minute.  I need to get going!

Goodness it is finally May(ish).  Please share your favorite spring recipes or better yet any easy to prepare brunch or Mother's Day related dishes to celebrate our Moms . . . Heart

HOW TO PLAY.......

The first player of the month starts the game by posting their choice of recipe.  At the end of the text, she or he types, "the next ingredient: xxx."

(The x's represent that person's choice of any ingredient that can be included in a recipe).  

Throughout the game, the next poster in line must use the ingredient that the person ahead chose.  If you can, highlight the ingredient and/or put it in capital letters anywhere that it is used throughout the recipe.  That does make it easier for everyone to see how the game works.

Because of time or system delays, some duplicate posts occur to the same ingredient.  The next poster generally responds to the first post for the next ingredient.  Good recipes and lots of fun!!

Normally, we start out with a recipe so I will post the last one shared on the last thread and we can take it from there.  Thanks to @house_cat who gave us our next ingredient:

Chef John's Chicken a la King

Click here for the video

Ingredients:

6 tbs. unsalted butter

1/2 lb sliced mushrooms

2 large shallots, minced

1 cup sweet bell peppers, diced

salt and pepper to taste

1/3 cup all purpose flour

1/4 cup dry sherry

3 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth

1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg

1 pinch cayenne pepper

2 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped

1 tbs. fresh Italian parsley, chopped

1/3 cup creme fraiche or heavy cream

4 cups roasted chicken, cubed

fresh chives for garnish

Directions

Step 1

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and salt. Saute until mushrooms release their moisture. Continue cooking until moisture evaporates and mushrooms begin to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add shallots; cook and stir just until shallots soften, 3 or 4 minutes.

Step 2

Reduce heat to medium. Stir in flour to coat the mushrooms; cook until flour begins to turn golden, about 5 minutes, to form roux. Add peppers; cook and stir about 1 minute. Pour in sherry wine; allow to sizzle about 30 seconds. Stir in stock. Raise heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. When it starts to bubble, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until slightly thickened, 10 to 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Add nutmeg and cayenne pepper.

Step 3

Stir in thyme, parsley, cream, and chicken. Reduce heat to low and cook until chicken is heated through, about 5 minutes. Check seasonings and adjust as needed. Top each serving with some chopped fresh chives.

Step 4

Serve over toast, rice, pasta or mashed potatoes.

Chef's Notes:

If you prefer your chicken a la king on the thicker side, increase the amount of flour in the roux from 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup.

There is no substitute for the dry sherry in this, except maybe a little splash of mild, sweeter vinegar.

This recipe yields 4 small or 2 large servings.

583 calories; 36.2 g total fat; 179 mg cholesterol; 833 mg sodium. 20.8 g carbohydrates; 43.7 g protein

Next ingredient: yellow squash (excellent choice as it seems to be on sale everywhere, yay!)
Esteemed Contributor

Easy Southern Squash Casserole

Prep Time  20 min          Cook Time  25 min

Ingredients

1. 8-10 medium sized yellow squash, cut
  2. 1/8 c. water
  3. 1 stick butter
  4. 1 sleeve Ritz crackers
  5. 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
  6. 2 eggs
  7. salt and pepper

Instructions

1. Boil squash and water until squash is tender.
  2. Drain water and mash up squash.
  3. Add remaining ingredients.
  4. Stir and pour into a 9x13 pan (or two 8x8 pans)

Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes

Notes

1. This freezes easily. Let cool completely and then store in the freezer for up to six months. When you are ready to eat it, just thaw it completely and heat it through.

My favorite veggie!  Other suggestions:

Squash.jpg

Next ingredient:  Pork (any cut)

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

Image result for mothers day food images

Lemme see 30 days has September, April, June and November . . . hey wait a minute.  I need to get going!

Goodness it is finally May(ish).  Please share your favorite spring recipes or better yet any easy to prepare brunch or Mother's Day related dishes to celebrate our Moms . . . Heart

HOW TO PLAY.......

The first player of the month starts the game by posting their choice of recipe.  At the end of the text, she or he types, "the next ingredient: xxx."

(The x's represent that person's choice of any ingredient that can be included in a recipe).  

Throughout the game, the next poster in line must use the ingredient that the person ahead chose.  If you can, highlight the ingredient and/or put it in capital letters anywhere that it is used throughout the recipe.  That does make it easier for everyone to see how the game works.

Because of time or system delays, some duplicate posts occur to the same ingredient.  The next poster generally responds to the first post for the next ingredient.  Good recipes and lots of fun!!

Normally, we start out with a recipe so I will post the last one shared on the last thread and we can take it from there.  Thanks to @house_cat who gave us our next ingredient:

Chef John's Chicken a la King

Click here for the video

Ingredients:

6 tbs. unsalted butter

1/2 lb sliced mushrooms

2 large shallots, minced

1 cup sweet bell peppers, diced

salt and pepper to taste

1/3 cup all purpose flour

1/4 cup dry sherry

3 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth

1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg

1 pinch cayenne pepper

2 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped

1 tbs. fresh Italian parsley, chopped

1/3 cup creme fraiche or heavy cream

4 cups roasted chicken, cubed

fresh chives for garnish

Directions

Step 1

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and salt. Saute until mushrooms release their moisture. Continue cooking until moisture evaporates and mushrooms begin to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add shallots; cook and stir just until shallots soften, 3 or 4 minutes.

Step 2

Reduce heat to medium. Stir in flour to coat the mushrooms; cook until flour begins to turn golden, about 5 minutes, to form roux. Add peppers; cook and stir about 1 minute. Pour in sherry wine; allow to sizzle about 30 seconds. Stir in stock. Raise heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. When it starts to bubble, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until slightly thickened, 10 to 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Add nutmeg and cayenne pepper.

Step 3

Stir in thyme, parsley, cream, and chicken. Reduce heat to low and cook until chicken is heated through, about 5 minutes. Check seasonings and adjust as needed. Top each serving with some chopped fresh chives.

Step 4

Serve over toast, rice, pasta or mashed potatoes.

Chef's Notes:

If you prefer your chicken a la king on the thicker side, increase the amount of flour in the roux from 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup.

There is no substitute for the dry sherry in this, except maybe a little splash of mild, sweeter vinegar.

This recipe yields 4 small or 2 large servings.

583 calories; 36.2 g total fat; 179 mg cholesterol; 833 mg sodium. 20.8 g carbohydrates; 43.7 g protein

Next ingredient: yellow squash (excellent choice as it seems to be on sale everywhere, yay!)

@momtochloe Thanks as always!😉

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Esteemed Contributor

Oven-fried Pork Schnitzel

4, 4 oz. boneless pork loin chops

1/2 cup flour

2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. black pepper

1 tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp. chili powder

2 eggs, whisked

1 cup unseasoned bread crumbs

lemon

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.

One at a time, place each pork chop in between two layers of plastic wrap. Use a meat mallet to pound the pork chops so that they are about 1/4 inch thick.

Set up a breading station by combining the flour and spices in a shallow pan, the whisked eggs in another shallow pan, and the bread crumbs in a third shallow pan.

Dip each piece of pork into the flour so it is well coated on each side — shaking off the excess. Then dip into the egg mixture to cover each. Finally dip into the bread crumbs to cover each side. Place breaded pork onto a lightly oiled wire rack over a baking sheet.

Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Flip and bake for another 5 minutes.

Salt if needed and squeeze lemon over schnitzel before serving

Next Ingredient: Grapes

Honored Contributor

Sorry it's pork again, but it is the only recipe with grapes I had in my files besides the yummy chix salad with grapes.  It has wine!!!

Roast Pork Loin with Grapes and Wine

Prep Time:  15 minutes   Cook Time:  1 ½ hours  Serving Size:  4

Ingredients

3 tsp garlic, chopped

3 Tbsp fresh sage leaves, chopped

1 1/2 tsp Kosher salt

2 tsp black pepper, coarsely ground

4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

3 lbs center-cut boneless pork loin

1 cup dry white wine

1 lb red & white seedless grapes

Procedures

Preheat oven to 375º F.

1. COMBINE garlic, sage, salt, pepper and 2 Tbsp of oil in mixing bowl; evenly coat pork loin.
  2. COAT large baking pan with 2 Tbsp of oil. Place pork loin in baking pan; cover pan with aluminum foil. Place in oven and roast for approximately 10-15 minutes per pound or until temperature reaches 155º F (medium well).
  3. REMOVE foil; roast additional 15 minutes or until well-browned. Remove pork loin from pan and place on cutting board. Let stand for 10 minutes.
  4. PLACE pan used to roast pork on stovetop over medium heat. Add wine. Using spatula, scrape bottom of pan to release drippings. Add grapes; cook until soft and wine is reduced by half.
  5. SLICE pork loin into 1/2” slices and place on serving platter. Pour grapes and sauce over pork. Serve immediately.

NEXT INGREDIENT:

Corn Starch

Honored Contributor

Hey @Zhills I am going to make your yellow squash recipe tomorrow but have a couple of quick/dumb questions:

• When you cook the squash in the water and drain, the end result of the squash will be a more creamier texture than if you sauteed it, yes?
  • Do you add the butter/crackers to the overall mixture itself or sprinkle it on top?

I am so looking forward to this tomorrow.  Many thanks my friend!

Honored Contributor

Air Fryer Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich

Ingredients
Spicy Option
Instructions
  • Place chicken into a Ziploc Baggie and pound, so that the whole piece is the same thickness, about 1/2 inch thick. Cut chicken into two or three pieces (depending on size).
  • Place pieces of chicken back into Ziploc baggie and pour in pickle juice. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
  • In a medium bowl, beat egg with the milk.  In another bowl, combine flour, starch and all spices.
  • Using tongs, coat chicken with egg mixture and then into flour mixture, making sure pieces are completely coated. Shake off excess flour (this is important).
  • Spray the basket of your air fryer with Oil and place chicken into air fryer and spray the chicken with oil.
  • Cook at 340 degrees for 6 minutes.  Using silicone tongs, carefully flip the chicken and spray with oil.  Cook for 6 more minutes.
  • Raise the temperature to 400 degrees and cook for two minutes on each side.
  • Serve on buttered and toasted buns, with 2 pickle chips and a small dollop of mayonnaise, if desired.

I know not everyone has an air fryer but I thought the ingredients (especially the pickle juice) would be something different for everyone (it's delicious!).

Next Ingredient:  Hmmm let's see . . . . let's go with Spring Peas!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: MAY 2019 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe   I only boil the squash until tender, not done (for a Southerner).  It keeps it's bright yellow color.   Mix most of the crumbs into the mixture and save a few for the top, to make it look pretty!  I chop the squash, not mash it up!  This is a copied recipe, but like the one I make.  Sorry, I didn't notice that difference.

Honored Contributor

Re: MAY 2019 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

@Zhills wrote:

@momtochloe   I only boil the squash until tender, not done (for a Southerner).  It keeps it's bright yellow color.   Mix most of the crumbs into the mixture and save a few for the top, to make it look pretty!  I chop the squash, not mash it up!  This is a copied recipe, but like the one I make.  Sorry, I didn't notice that difference.

Oh no worries at all @Zhills , I just wanted to make sure I made the recipe properly as I often have to make adjustments since I cook for one.  This just sounds so good, I cannot wait to make this tomorrow.  Thanks again for posting this and thanks again for your help!

ETA:  This recipe is delicious and a definite keeper. So easy and yummy, I highly recommend.  Thanks again @Zhills !

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe You were right! You had me at pickle juice!

Thanks for the recipe.😋

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.