Honored Contributor

MARIE CALLENDER'S HONEY BRAN MUFFIN RECIPE?

I used to love the honey bran muffin at Marie Callender's when I lived in Southern California. It was relatively small and very dense. Does anyone have that recipe?

Seeing the other muffin request made me remember this.

Trusted Contributor

Re: MARIE CALLENDER'S HONEY BRAN MUFFIN RECIPE?

Marie Callendar's baked goods are all factory produced, so I doubt you will find a recipe. The following is my favorite bran muffin from Maida Heatter's New Book of Great Desserts.

2 oz unsalted butter

1/2 cup dark brown sugar

1/4 cup honey or molasses

2 eggs

1 cup milk

1 1/2 cups All-Bran cereal or wheat bran

5 oz raisins

4 oz (generous cup) walnuts, chopped

1/2 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup unbleached white flour

3/4 teasp. Salt

1 1/2 teasp. Baking Soda

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin tins with papers, or butter well.

Melt the butter and put in a large bowl. Add the sugar and molasses or honey. Mix well.

In a small bowl beat the eggs. Gradually stir in the milk. Add to the butter mixture, stirring well. Add the raisins and bran, let sit for a few minutes, or refrigerate overnight.

Stir in walnuts and dry ingredients.. Mix only until combines. Put batter in prepared tins, filling 2/3. Bake 15 minutes or just until tops spring back. Remove from tins and cool on wire rack.

Honored Contributor

pas4116 - Thanks. The muffin I remember was very sweet and this sounds like it would be also. I am definitely going to try it.

-DiAnne

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Those were my favorite! I've tried to find this recipe as well! I was hoping someone had it.
Honored Contributor

Persephonel - I tried to find it on line also but no luck. Could not even find it in copy cat recipes. I guess you and I were the only ones that liked them!

Super Contributor

On 1/10/2015 DiAnne said:

Persephonel - I tried to find it on line also but no luck. Could not even find it in copy cat recipes. I guess you and I were the only ones that liked them!

Hi DiAnne! No, you and Persephone weren't the only ones! I recall that another poster awhile back was looking for the same thing, and I remember trying like heck to find it for her. It's just not out there. Bummer!

Super Contributor

On 1/10/2015 Sabatini2 said:
On 1/10/2015 DiAnne said:

Hi DiAnne! No, you and Persephone weren't the only ones! I recall that another poster awhile back was looking for the same thing, and I remember trying like heck to find it for her. It's just not out there. Bummer!

I just checked, and it was Persephone who'd originally asked! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Does anyone have the recipe for the honey pinapple bran muffins sold at marie calendars?

Honored Contributor

Sabatini2 - I don't remember it as pineapple but I haven't lived So Cal for 25 years so it could have been (it was sticky sweet). I loved the spinach salad on their salad bar with a bran muffin.

I also loved their fresh peach pie.

Thanks for looking.

Occasional Visitor

[ Edited ]

The best raisin bran muffin I've ever had was at Marie Callenders. It's been years because they shut down a long time ago. But my favorite thing about them was the top. It was sticky sweet and slightly crispy around the edges. Like they brushed it with honey butter or something. Does this recipe have a top like that?

Respected Contributor

Even Todd Wilbur hasn't done a knock off of this one.  I found a knock off of a "Mimi's Honey Bran Muffins" on Pinterest.  Not familiar with Mimi's but it might be similar.