Honored Contributor

MARCH 2017 RECIPE EXCHANGE GAME

Image result for month of march food images

Good morning friends, welcome to the first day of March! . . . Smiley Happy

.HOW TO PLAY.......

The first player of the month starts the game by posting their choice of recipe.  At the end of the text, she or he types, "the next ingredient: xxx."
(The x's represent that person's choice of any ingredient that can be included in a recipe).  

Throughout the game, the next poster in line must use the ingredient that the person ahead chose.  If you can, highlight the ingredient and/or put it in capital letters anywhere that it is used throughout the recipe.  That does make it easier for everyone to see how the game works.

Because of time or system delays, some duplicate posts occur to the same ingredient.  The next poster generally responds to the first post for the next ingredient.  Good recipes and lots of fun!!

Normally, we start out with a recipe so I will post the last one shared on the February thread and we can take it from there if that's ok with every body (thanks to @Bluffbaker!):.

Salisbury Steak
4 Servings

1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup, divided (undiluted)
1 lb. hamburger
1 cup Italian seasoned dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. water
1 (8 oz.) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained

Combine 1/4 cup soup, ground beef, bread crumbs, onion, egg, salt and pepper in a large bowl; don't overmix. Shape into 4 patties and place in a greased 9-inch baking pan. Combine the remaining soup with Worcestershire sauce, water and mushrooms; spread the mixture evenly over the patties. Bake uncovered at 350° for 60 minutes.

Next Ingredient:  Evaporated milk

Regular Contributor

Re: MARCH 2017 RECIPE EXCHANGE GAME

Thanks, @mtc.  It didn't even dawn on me that today was March 1!  Where is this year going????

Honored Contributor

@Bluffbaker wrote:

Thanks, @mtc.  It didn't even dawn on me that today was March 1!  Where is this year going????

Tee hee, trust me @Bluffbaker no one was more surprised than me when I logged in this morning and saw it was March! . . . your recipe looks yummy, I can't wait to try it!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

My family loves this one.

S'More Pie

• 1 package (3.9 oz.) chocolate instant pudding and pie filling mix
  • 1 can (12 fl. oz.) Evaporated milk, divided
  • 1 (6 oz.) prepared 9-inch graham cracker crumb crust
  • 3 cups mini marshmallows, divided
  • 2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
  • 1/2 cup  Milk Chocolate Chips 

MICROWAVE 2 cups marshmallows and remaining 1/4 cup evaporated milk in  on HIGH (100%) power for 30 to 45 seconds; stir until smooth. Let stand for 15 minutes. Gently fold in whipped topping. Spoon marshmallow mixture over chocolate layer; smooth top with spatula.

REFRIGERATE 2 hours or until set. Top with remaining 1 cup marshmallows and chocolate chips.

TIPS:  For a gooey S’more topping, place chilled pie on a baking sheet. Preheat broiler. Place baking sheet with pie on rack 6 inches from broiler unit (pie top should be at least 4 inches from broiler unit). Broil for 30 seconds or until marshmallows are light brown and chocolate chips are shiny. Watch carefully.! 

Next Ingredient:  Cream Cheese

Honored Contributor

Lol! When I saw the new recipe thread for March, I was like No Way!,

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
(From Taste of Home)

My daughter, Lisa Sand, brought 10 pans of these yummy chicken enchiladas to my wedding reception and they were the biggest hit of all the food. So many guests wanted the recipe, we sent it out with our Christmas cards. —Pat Coffee, Kingston, Washington
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.YIELD:10 servings

Ingredients
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
5 cups diced cooked chicken
20 flour tortillas (6 inches), room temperature
2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
1 cup 2% milk
2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, water, onion powder, cumin, salt and pepper until smooth. Stir in chicken.
2. Place 1/4 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. In a large bowl, combine soup, sour cream, milk and chilies; pour over enchiladas.
3. Bake, uncovered, 30-40 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts
2 each: 651 calories, 38g fat (18g saturated fat), 151mg cholesterol, 1392mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 37g protein.

NEXT INGREDIENT: RADISHES

IMG_2974.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

Edible centerpiece.

One picture showed using more greenery (any kind of greens).

Next ingredient:  Mahi Mahi  (dolphin fish)

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Soft Mahi Mahi Tacos with Mango Pineapple Salsa

Gently mix together in a medium bowl and set aside:

1 chopped mango

1 cup diced fresh pineapple

1 diced avocado

1 jalapeño 

Mix together in a small bowl and set aside:

1/2 cup  sour cream
1/2 tsp finely grated lime zest
2 tsp lime juice

Heat large fry pan to medium high with 2 Tablespoons 0live oil.  Season 6 

(3 oz) fillets of Mahi Mahi with salt and pepper and brown approximately 3 minutes on each side, until cooked.  (Fish is done when it is opaque and no longer translucent.) 

Divide fish onto six,  6 inch (warmed) flour tortillas.  Place a generous amount of the mango mixture on top and finish with a drizzle of lime crema.  

Garnish each tortilla with a tablespoon of chopped cilantro or chopped parsley. 

Next ingredient:  yogurt

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

ROASTED CAULIFLOWER TACOS WITH CHIPOTLE CREAM FROM THE LOVE AND LEMONS COOKBOOK

SERVES 4 (GLUTEN-FREE)

INGREDIENTS

1 medium head cauliflower, cut into small florets
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
2 chipotle peppers from canned chipotles in adobo sauce
8 tortillas, warmed or grilled
1 medium avocado, sliced
Cilantro
1 lime, sliced
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

CHIPOTLE YOGURT SAUCE

7 ounces (200 g) full-fat Greek yogurt 
1 chipotle pepper (from the can used above)
1 small garlic clove
1 teaspoon (5 mL) fresh lime juice, plus more to taste
1 teaspoon (5 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon (5 mL) honey
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

METHOD

Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).

Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the cauliflower and drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to combine.

Working over the baking sheet, use your hands to break up 2 chipotle peppers, along with some of the adobo sauce. Toss again to coat the cauliflower and roast for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.

Make the chipotle yogurt sauce: In a small food processor, combine the yogurt, chipotle pepper, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, honey, and a pinch of salt. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more salt, pepper, and lime juice as desired.

Fill each tortilla with a spoonful of sauce, the roasted cauliflower, and a slice of avocado. Serve with the cilantro and lime slices on the side.

IMG_2981.JPG

NEXT INGREDIENT: BROCOLLINI

Valued Contributor

Kale and Broccolini Salad (Copy-cat Chick a Fil a)

1 bunch kale (8 ounce bag of trimmed and cut fresh kale)

1 bunch broccolini

1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries 

1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts

Place nuts in small fry pan and "toast" over medium heat, shaking pan constantly, until wonderful aroma hits your nose.  Dump them onto a plate to cool.

Make maple vinaigrette and set aside.

Wash and trim tough ends off of broccolini and cut into bite sized pieces

Now, get out a big bowl, and place the broccolini and kale into the bowl.  Use your

hands to "massage" them.  This is an important step as it breaks down the tough fibers in both the kale and broccolini.  They must become slightly limp, about 2-4 minutes.

Add your vinaigrette (to your taste) and toss.  Remove to serving bowl and top with cherries or cranberries and toasted walnuts. 

Maple vinaigrette :

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup maple syrup 
2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
1/8 teaspoon black pepper 

next ingredient:  parsnips

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the recipe @rrpell. I have broccolini in the fridge so I needed a recipe and this looks delicious!

Baked Parsnip Fries With Rosemary

Ingredients

2 1/2 pounds parsnips or carrots, peeled, cut into about 3x1/2-inch strips
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary, plus 5 sprigs rosemary
1 large garlic clove, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon (or more) ground cumin

Preparation
Preheat oven to 450°. Mix parsnips, chopped rosemary, garlic, and oil on a large rimmed baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Spread out in a single layer. Scatter rosemary sprigs over.

Roast for 10 minutes; turn parsnips and roast until parsnips are tender and browned in spots, 10–15 minutes longer. Crumble leaves from rosemary sprigs over; discard stems and toss to coat. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp. cumin over. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and more cumin, if desired.

Next ingredient: CHIVES