Honored Contributor

Anything I can make ahead of a holiday meal helps me enjoy the day as well.  This is a recipe I have used for several years. I think I found it in Taste of Home. See my note at end also.  I am sure there are probably other variations online as well.  Happy Cooking!  Happy Thanksgiving!

MAKE-AHEAD POTATOES

10 large potatoes, peeled and quartered

1 cup sour cream (8 ozs.)

1 pkg. cream cheese, softened (8 ozs.)

6 tablespoons butter, divided

2 tablespoons dried minced onion

1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt

paprika (optional)

Place potatoes in a Dutch Oven or large pan; cover with water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and cook 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  Drain and place in bowl; mash.  Add sour cream, cream cheese, 4 tablespoons butter, onion and salt; stir until smooth and cream cheese and butter have melted.  Spread in a greased 13x9" baking dish.  Melt remaining butter; drizzle over potatoes.  Sprinkle with paprika, if using.  Refrigerate or bake immediately, covered, at 350 for 40 minutes; uncover and bake 20 minutes longer.  If potatoes are made ahead of time and refrigerated, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.  Serves 12.

NOTE....Instead of putting these into a 13x9" pan, I use my crock pot. Let sit out as above if refrigerated overnight.  Then heat on Low for 3-4 hours(maybe longer) or 1 hour on High and less on Low depending on how much time you have.  Add two tablespoons of melted butter and paprika on top.  Stir occasionally and add little milk if it seems dry.

Respected Contributor

Re: MAKE AHEAD POTATOES

[ Edited ]

Thank you walker!! I think I'm going to do mine in the crock pot!

Respected Contributor

I've made these, and it works well.  Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Esteemed Contributor

@walker 

Thank you for sharing this recipe and for sharing the website you found this recipe. Taste of Home has many marvelous recipes and ideas and I've enjoyed reading and trying some of their recipes.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Looks like a tasty recipe that saves prep time on Thanksgiving day.

Super Contributor

When I ask my grandkids what their favorite Thanksgiving food was, these potatoes (we call them Party Potatoes!) was their answer.  I make them every year.  In fact, I got this very same recipe years ago from a wonderful cook/elderly woman at our church.  It is the recipe the "church ladies"  used for their annual Christmas Auction Dinner and various funeral dinners. I also serve them out of a slow cooker.  Delicious!!!

Honored Contributor

Thank you for your nice replies.  I am happy to know this recipe has been around and enjoyed.  I just finished making mine.  They are ready to go tomorrow!  Lucky me there was just enough left in mixing bowl to have a taste test....YUM!  😋

Honored Contributor

At first I thought it said 10 pounds of potatoes and thought you'd need more than one 13x9 pan!

Honored Contributor

@AuntG ....pretty funny!!  Glad you caught that one!