Respected Contributor

Are you making black eyed peas and greens for New Years to make sure your New Year is lucky and prosperous.? I am getting ready to soak my peas overnight, cook tomorrow and eat for two days. You can take the girl out of the South...

Esteemed Contributor

Jewel's food did not have any today, usually they have a couple of fresh packages.

Honored Contributor

I've "doctored" black-eyed peas with onion and bacon and still can't stand to eat the bland, mealy, nasty stuff.  I think they're hog food and not good for much else.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've "doctored" black-eyed peas with onion and bacon and still can't stand to eat the bland, mealy, nasty stuff.  I think they're hog food and not good for much else.

@Kachina624

Tell us how you really feel.q

Honored Contributor

Re: Lucky New Years

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 - LOL! Smiley Wink

Black-eyed peas are one of my favorite foods. I grew up on them, and I love them. My mom fixed them all of the time, not just for New Year's Day, although we did have them then. If I'm alone for dinner, I will often open a can and eat almost the whole thing for my dinner, maybe with a few greens and a pat of Smart Balance mixed in!

DH is not too keen on them, and until he met me he had never had them. He takes one spoonful every New Year's Day. Our children love to eat them too, especially DD. We traveled back from Disney World on New Year's Day 2000 on the auto train. I had my can with me and when we went to the dining car I asked if they could open it and heat them in the microwave for us. They were happy to do it. So we have never gone a New Year's Day without them. Sometimes I soak them; sometimes I use the can. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

No, we've always had pork and sauerkraut.  Ever since I can remember, my mother always made this.  Plus, I buy a New Year's pretzel and we will have that.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: Lucky New Years

[ Edited ]

I married a  Southern guy, and black-eyed peas are a year-round dish at our house, fixed various ways.

When they're well-seasoned, they are very good just by themselves.  Not to mention good for you, like any other bean.

I don't understand the reference to them being "mealy hog food".  Something must have gone wrong with the cooking!

Honored Contributor

Oh goodness, no.  We do pork and sauerkraut and mashed potatoes for good luck here.

Whatever you have, enjoy it in good health and have a happy new year.

Respected Contributor

I am serving tonight all my Russian traditional celebratory and just favorite foods.

All possible smoked cold cuts,cheeses, potato salad "Olivier ", fresh greens salad with tomatoes, radish salad,smoked fishes, olives. Main dish - prime rib roast. Then cakes.

And lots of booze. French sparkly to start!!!!!! It will be fun !!!!!!

Respected Contributor

Even when I was little we never ate specific foods for the new year.  Must be a regional thing.