Honored Contributor

Re: Low Fat/No Fat Diet

[ Edited ]

@noodleann wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Hummm.  But yet, we have the highest % of heart disease, T2 diabetes, obesity ever seen in the history of ever.  Fat is killing us, but I digress.

Tell someone without a gallbladder to resume their high-fat diet.

See how that works out.  Loose stools, rushing to the toilet. 

Not a good way to live, IMO. 

I believe SUGAR is what's killing us. SUGAR comes from a plant, but it's really bad news for human beings, especially combined with flour and other processed plants.

Need to more research. 

Fat is the plaque in our arteries...heart disease

Fat is in our muscles...intramyocellular lipids...T2 diabetes

Fat causes inflammation...arthritis & many other auto-immune issues

Fat causing us to gain weight...obesity

Yes, sugar & processed foods aren't good, but it's the fat which is killing us. Too much plant based fats can even harm.

----------

When a poster asks how to cook without fat for health reasons,

it boils down to how committed this poster wants to be.

There are tons of no-fat stuff on the shelves.  Healthy? Nope.

And to put your tastebuds before a loved-one's health is not good, either.

To make big changes, one has to make big changes. 

Almost a.n.y cooking protocol can be made fat free.

We don't need 'a little oil' for this/that. 

Just depends on your commitment. 

Esteemed Contributor

Very carefully!  I changed that habit years ago and when I use "fat" I make sure it is healthy fat.

Just got an air fryer and haven't used it yet because I never fried anything!  

If I need to use oil when roasting, I buy the cheap roll of plastic bags called BAGGIES and I put a dab of oil and whatever I am cooking in the bag and it all gets a little bit of oil on it and is much more even than drizzling with oil.  Cheap bags just go in the garbage.

Lots less messy too!  You will be surprised how easy it will become in a short while.  

I roast almost everything that doesn't require boiling.

Honored Contributor

Add lots of pepper!Woman Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@software wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@software wrote:

I hope you are doing this on doctor's orders because removing fat from your diet is not healthy otherwise.

Fortunately, removing fat from the diet is extremely healthy.

Every food has a mix of carbohydrate/protein/fat.  

We can live very well without a drop of fat.

And there's a v.e.r.y good change the reason for gallstones

and gallbladder removal is due to the cholesterol/fats in the diet.

I disagree, but to each their own.

We cannot live very well without a drop of fat. That is simply not healthy. We need healthy fats.

Hummm.  But yet, we have the highest % of heart disease, T2 diabetes, obesity ever seen in the history of ever.  Fat is killing us, but I digress.

You are avoiding addressing the sweeping and incorrect statement that you made that we can live 'without a drop of fat'. You may live, but you will not be healthy. 

Some people here believe they are the ultimate experts on nutrition, and they give false and dangerous statements frequently. 

Anyone who believes they need absolutely no fats in their diet to be healthy, simply see your doctor, a dietitian, or do your own research. You will find that blanket statement to be not only false but harmful.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@software wrote:

I hope you are doing this on doctor's orders because removing fat from your diet is not healthy otherwise.

Fortunately, removing fat from the diet is extremely healthy.

Every food has a mix of carbohydrate/protein/fat.  

We can live very well without a drop of fat.

And there's a v.e.r.y good change the reason for gallstones

and gallbladder removal is due to the cholesterol/fats in the diet.

@sidsmom

Oh boy, do you have it wrong!  

For starters, the human brain is complrised of 60% fat, and HEALTHY fats are VERY important to many body functions.  They are called essential fatty acids.

There are good fats in avocados, salmon and nuts, for starters.   

You are not a physician nor a dietician, so you really shouldn't be pretending to be an expert and doling out (bad) nutritional advice.   

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

I believe SUGAR is what's killing us. SUGAR comes from a plant, but it's really bad news for human beings, especially combined with flour and other processed plants.

Need to more research. 

Fat is the plaque in our arteries...heart disease

Fat is in our muscles...intramyocellular lipids...T2 diabetes

Fat causes inflammation...arthritis & many other auto-immune issues

Fat causing us to gain weight...obesity

Yes, sugar & processed foods aren't good, but it's the fat which is killing us. Too much plant based fats can even harm.

----------

When a poster asks how to cook without fat for health reasons,

it boils down to how committed this poster wants to be.

There are tons of no-fat stuff on the shelves.  Healthy? Nope.

And to put your tastebuds before a loved-one's health is not good, either.

To make big changes, one has to make big changes. 

Almost a.n.y cooking protocol can be made fat free.

We don't need 'a little oil' for this/that. 

Just depends on your commitment. 

I sincerely hope that the OP's "commitment" to her husband outweighs the influence that bad advice about faddish, extremist diets backed by junk science has on her. It would be one thing if she were making decisions for herself, but this is for another human being. She owes him more than taking dubious advice from unqualified people on a shopping chatboard.

The people I know who adopted faddish extreme low-fat diets 20 years ago for cardiac health wound up miserable because they felt exhausted and sick all the time. They also continued to have cardiac events on those diets, so at least anecdotally, it didn't help there. But it was the degradation of the quality of life that always struck me. They're all dead now, so I can't quiz them, but I remember how lousy they felt--and the guilt they felt about not feeling better.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

How do I cook low fat or no fat and still have it taste good and not be loaded with salt or sugar?

My husband had to have his gallbladder removed so I guess I have to learn to re-do certain things. 

@CelticCrafter

People don't need to resort to foods "loaded with fat, salt and sugar" to have it taste good.  

If your physician hasn't already done so, you need to discuss any specific modifications your husband requires, and get a referral for a dietician, if necessary.

If not, do some research online.  This will be a trial and error process, but please don't let anyone try to convince you that you must give up ALL fats .... they just don't know what they're talking about.

Respected Contributor

I think there is some about confusion about "fat."  Fat on the body is simply an excess accumulation from eating more calories than you can burn.  It can be from eating excess sugar, carbs, fat, protein......whatever.  Your body turns those excess calories into fat on your body, and that of course is dangerous to your health.  I personally feel that excess carbs and sugar are the real culprits in poor health.  Reasonable amounts of healthy fats (mono and polyunsaturated) are good for you and help keep you from overeating by helping you to feel satiated.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Try Googling "low fat" and "no fat" diets.  Lots if info out there.

I saw an article on "diet after gall bladder removal."