Honored Contributor

Re: Low-Carb dinners requested

@IamMrsG,

Do you ever go into Pinterest?  I did this a.m. and went under Paleo recipes. There's quite a selection. Also, you probably know about the Glycemic Index right?  That's information you might want to see too. My dad was a type 2 Diabetic on insulin. We had to do the shots. So, I see in the stores now, there's a lot more that would have helped us with him. At least I think so. Anyway, I hope we can still post from time to time on new findings in this area.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal  I didn't know about the Paleo section on Pinterest, but will certainly check into it.  Thanks for the tip.  

Years ago, DH and I went on the SugarBusters diet, based on low glycemic numbers.  We both lost weight, but eventually wandered off it.  And, of course, the pounds came right back--and brought a few friends along, too. Isn't that generally the case, though? 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@Writer with Flair

@IamMrsG

I use spaghetti squash a lot.  I had to snicker, Mrs. G., at the description of the face your DH made to it.  Mine did the same.  I told him we are eating healthier now and to get over it!  LOL

It does have a totally different texture, IMHO, than pasta.  I personally would not mix them...but you can always give it a try.  I told DH it is NOT a substitute for pasta, per se, but tastes delicious with similiar ingredients you would use on pasta.

I find my spag squash to be on the crunchier side...and I enjoy that about it!

I have used w/ marinara sauce, in gratins (lots of cheese...is cheese low carb??)

and also just tossed with olive oil and feta cheese or bleu cheese.

Please let us know what you do with the thing! 

I have Wegman's cut it for me.  I swear the one time I was going to take a chain saw to it!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just put up a Mock Fettucine Carbonara recipe, primarily for you and DH, @IamMrsG...seeing that you made the brave leap and purchased a spaghetti squash!Woman LOL   Even if it's not something you'd particulary care for, it at least provides a method for preparing the squash...although they can be baked as well.Woman Wink   I remember my maiden voyage into spaghetti squash-land.  I do love it, but it's not like throwing some pasta in a pot, for sureWoman Wink.

Boy, I really got on a rip today posting Low Carb recipes.  I think some have already dropped off to the next page.  Please just search on LOW CARB to pull them all up when you're ready. Woman Happy    

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Super Contributor

I love spaghetti squash, but I do prefer it with creamier based sauces, or asian style sauces. Having it with tomato sauce just doesn't do it for me. Which is fine because tomatoes tend to spike my blood sugar anyway.  You can make tetrazinni style sauces, or baking it with slivered onions and a cheese sauce - it tastes a lot like hash brown casserole.

The veggies I use most often are cabbage, zuchinni (zoodles!), spaghetti squash and cauliflower.  I have cauliflower mock mashed potatoes a couple times a week! Also make mock potato salad with it.  

I wish I could have 60 grams per meal!  I wont give a recommendation, because I believe that ones max amount varies quite a bit. My limit might be a lot less than what you can tolerate. The only way to tell how many carbs are too many is to test before and after meals, and keeping track of what you ate along with what impact it had on your glucose levels. It's a pain in the rear to test that often, but I only had to do that in the beginnning. Now I only test once a day at most.  Except when I've fallen off the wagon and want to see the damage. Nothing gets me back on the wagon faster than seeing how it affected me.

As others have stated, once you get used to eating more real food and getting the carbage out, cravings really do go away. Just like quitting smoking.... you really want a puff...just a puff. The cravings can be intense at first. they were for me, LOL.  But it gets better. And you will feel better.

Don't worry about people saying you wont get enough carbs when you say "low carb".  I had to give up most bread, pasta, potatoes and rice. But I'm still getting plenty of carbs in the forms of veggies and once in a while black beans. 

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I don't know if this is helpful but I just received this from South Your Mouth who sends out really good and interesting recipes and today's is devoted to low carb as she has lost 35 pounds (good for her!).

http://www.southyourmouth.com/2016/04/my-low-carb-weight-loss-plan.html#more

The first two I clicked on looked delicious so I thought I would share . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

I don't know if this is helpful but I just received this from South Your Mouth who sends out really good and interesting recipes and today's is devoted to low carb as she has lost 35 pounds (good for her!).

The first two I clicked on looked delicious so I thought I would share . . . Smiley Happy

@momtochloe, got it saved to my favorites now. Thanks. I had to laugh at one recipe, buffalo feathers recipe,  oh yum. That should be low!! LOL

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@momtochloe, got it saved to my favorites now. Thanks. I had to laugh at one recipe, buffalo feathers recipe,  oh yum. That should be low!! LOL

Oh goodness @qualitygal thanks for the heads up on those "feathers" as they look delicious!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Oh my way to looking something up I ran into this breakfast recipe that I thought looked delicious:

http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/videos/a46851/how-to-make-cauliflower-hashbrown-egg-cups/

I've heard great things about swapping out cauliflower for various crusts and this looks like a winner!

Trusted Contributor

@IamMrsG I like the was you think. I too am a Type 2 Diabetic and have Coronary Heart Disease. I also just had Danger Tumor removed last Friday and I went Home Saturday. I have to make Dietary changes. I too need to eat Low Carb Meals.