Esteemed Contributor

Low Carb and High Protein "Hacks" for the New Year

[ Edited ]

I'm not the New Year's resolution type, but we have really been going overboard this past month and have to get back on track. The issue is, I still have to get well rounded meals on the table, but I need to cut the carbs and fat while keeping the veggies and protein tasty. My DH loves these Buffalo chicken strips along with a side of some broccoli. What is your go-to?

Skinny Buffalo Chicken Strips

This is a healthy alternative to Buffalo wings. I pulled it off the internet. I always double or triple the ingredients.

Ingredients::
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 tsp paprika (don't double this if you don't like paprika - I don't)
• 1/2 tsp chili powder
• 1/8 tsp black pepper
• 1/2 tbsp oil
• 8 strips chicken tenderloin (12.5 oz)
• 1/4 cup Frank’s Hot Sauce

Directions:
1. Combine garlic powder, paprika, chili powder and black pepper in a medium bowl.
2. Season chicken with spices and toss to evenly coat the chicken.
3. Heat half of the oil in a large non-stick sauté pan over medium-high heat, when hot add half of the chicken and
cook until golden, about 3-4 minutes, turn chicken and cook until center is no longer pink.
4. Set aside; repeat with remaining oil and chicken.
5. Pour the hot sauce over the chicken tossing well.
6. Serve with celery sticks and blue cheese dressing if desired.

Respected Contributor

Re: Low Carb and High Protein "Hacks" for the New Year

[ Edited ]

Chicken with Artichokes

My amalgamation from various recipe sources over the years

8  four oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1/2  lb fresh mushrooms

1  13.75 oz canned artichokes packed in water

2 Tbsp flour     2 Tbsp butter and olive oil, blended, add more if         needed

1/2 cup chopped onion

several cloves of crushed garlic

2 Tbsp well rinsed capers

ground salt, white pepper and crushed red pepper flakes to taste

1 cup chicken broth and 1 cup dry white wine

minced fresh parsley

Season chicken breasts with salt and white pepper, dredge lightly in flour then brown in melted butter and olive oil combo over medium high heat in a skillet; set chicken aside reserving pan drippings.  Saute onions, mushrooms and garlic in drippings.

Place chicken, capers, and drained artichokes in a 9 x 13 inch casserole.  Sprinkle crushed rosemary, crushed red pepper flakes, fresh parsley and mushroom, onion and garlic mixture over it.  Pour broth and wine mixture over this and cover with foil or tightly fitted casserole lid.

Place in a preheated 350 degree oven for forty-five minutes.

Serves 8.  Can serve with fresh or frozen string beans and a salad with vinaigrette dressing.  Alternate sides could be spinach and garlic saute and sliced fresh tomatoes or cooked zucchini.

@PA Mom-mom   Here is a recipe for your consideration.  My Italian American friends used to have this frequently at  their wedding or retirement receptions as one of the buffet offerings.  Also used to see it made with potatoes and red peppers in lieu of the artichokes and mushrooms.

Happy, healthy New Year and hope you are drinking in the joys of your recent retirement.  Wonderful, isn't it?

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435  Thanks for the delicious-looking recipe! I'm a bit confused about when to add the artichokes. Do you mean for them to be sauteed with the mushrooms or just added with the other toppings before baking?

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom   Sorry about that inadvertent omission.  I've now fixed my error.  No need to saute them. Just put the drained artichokes in the casserole with the sauteed chicken and then add all the other toppings.

Cheers,

aroc3435

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

Chicken with Artichokes

My amalgamation from various recipe sources over the years

I have this recipe without the capers and, yes, it is delicious!  I make this often.  Freezes well.