Honored Contributor

I donated all my cookbooks, except for a few vintage ones.  I just love everything about them.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Love Vintage Recipes ?

[ Edited ]

@Honeybit Here are some more.

old recipe book dot com

recipecurio dot com

handwritten recipes dot com

homemade-dessert-recipes dot com

pzrservices.typepad dot com slash vintage recipes slash archives dot html

archive dot org (search recipes)

I guess this is like a library.  Some recipes you can view, some  books you borrow

Google Virtual Quincy & click on recipes

These are not vintage but lists lots of recipe sites online in one place.

Frequent Contributor

Thank You! I love vintage recipes. What a great thread!❤️

I posted this last Christmas. It might be of interest to posters on this thread.

I was looking for a recipe for a family party and stumbled upon this blog compiled by a research librarian ~ a fascinating collection of Christmas food and lore complete with recipes. 

Can't vouch for all the recipes but I'm going to try some of them.😊

Enjoy and Happy Holidays!!

🎄

http://
www. foodtimeline.
org/christmasfood.html

The blog is called "The Food Timeline" and you can Google "The Food Timeline Christmas food history" to find it if you can't use the link.

Smiley Happy

Included:

TRADITIONAL FOODS

bishop's bread
boar's head
Buche de Noel
candy canes
cheese logs
cherries
Christmas cookies
Christmas goose
Christmas pie
Christmas pudding
cookie exchanges
creamed onions
egg nog
fruitcake
gingerbread
green bean casserole
king cake
lefse
lussekater
mincemeat pies
mole poblano
oranges
oyster stew
panettone
panforte
plum pudding
posset
seven fishes
spiral ham
stargazy pie
stollen
strufoli
stuffed dates
sugarplums
syllabub
tourtiere
Twelfth Night cakes
Yorkshire Stand Pie
Wassail

PLACE & PERIOD

Bethlehem Christmas
Medieval European Christmas
German 17th century Christmas
Shakespeare's Christmas
Victorian English Christmas
Christmas in Australia
Christmas foods around the world
Recommended reading
Historic Christmas menus
New Year foods

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz    @hildyjohnson

Thanks for the additions to the list.  Looks like great browsing.

Trusted Contributor

Oh, Drat!. I found another neat site this morning.  The name is

yesterdish dot com

The site says its aim is to preserve the collections from old recipe boxes found at estate sales.  These are handwritten recipes and recipe cards (not old advertisements) followed by a printed transcription. 

I found navigation to be a little awkward, but from the homepage, go down below the opening array of handwritten clips.  You'll find a standard Search bar plus a Select Category bar which you can pull down using the arrow on the right-hand side.  It will give you a list of categories such as Appetizers, Cakes, etc. Toward the end it also offers various recipe boxes by origin.  Click on your choice, then click on the View button to the right. 

As you look through the results, you will have to click on a simple line drawing of a left-pointing arrow to move to the next list of your results ("older posts"). 

Also, back at the top of the home page, there is a header that will take you to the Index of Tags.  This is a long, indexed list which will link you, for example, to recipes in the collection tagged with Argo (cornstarch) or punch.   

One of the things I found here was the (supposedly) original German Chocolate Cake recipe which called for Swans Down Cake Flour. 

Honored Contributor

@Honeybit wrote:

Oh, Drat!. I found another neat site this morning.  The name is

yesterdish dot com

The site says its aim is to preserve the collections from old recipe boxes found at estate sales.  These are handwritten recipes and recipe cards (not old advertisements) followed by a printed transcription. 

I found navigation to be a little awkward, but from the homepage, go down below the opening array of handwritten clips.  You'll find a standard Search bar plus a Select Category bar which you can pull down using the arrow on the right-hand side.  It will give you a list of categories such as Appetizers, Cakes, etc. Toward the end it also offers various recipe boxes by origin.  Click on your choice, then click on the View button to the right. 

As you look through the results, you will have to click on a simple line drawing of a left-pointing arrow to move to the next list of your results ("older posts"). 

Also, back at the top of the home page, there is a header that will take you to the Index of Tags.  This is a long, indexed list which will link you, for example, to recipes in the collection tagged with Argo (cornstarch) or punch.   

One of the things I found here was the (supposedly) original German Chocolate Cake recipe which called for Swans Down Cake Flour. 

@Honeybit Thx. I have another one to add to my list. I finally had to put them all in one place so I could find them. The bad thing about these sites is once you start looking you get hooked. LOL!!! Next thing you know it's dinner time.

Love German Chocolate Cake. Must be my favorite next to chocolate.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for sharing, everyone! Heart

Thanks for taking the time to post and to share!

I am looking forward to looking up some of these recipes. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

This thread gave me a wonderful memory of my sweet dear MotherHeart She would of been 103 this year and I have all of her old recipes. The recipes came from her Mother, another great woman and cookHeart

Trusted Contributor

Re: Love Vintage Recipes ?

[ Edited ]

I'm glad everyone is enjoying this thread.  I discovered some of these sites last Christmas when (by a roundabout path) I started searching for the ORIGINAL Chex Mix -- which was original before there was such a thing as the bagel chips now listed in the "original" recipe.  To my surprise I discovered that the food companies don't generally keep track of the recipes used on their packages -- despite the outcries that occur when an old favorite disappears from new packaging.  While there are several books of the "best recipes from the back of bottles, cans, and jars" variety, they never seem to contain the recipe I'm searching for.

With all of the information the Internet now puts right at the end of our inquiring fingertips, you'd think there'd be some gnome somewhere collecting and posting all those fondly remembered gems.  Most search paths seem to inevitably lead to Pinterest -- and trying to find something specific by scrolling down Pinterest pages (let alone drilling down to the actual recipe) just makes me crazy.  And, as @Nightowlz said, "The bad thing about these sites is once you start looking you get hooked. LOL!!! Next thing you know it's dinner time."

Maybe with all of us sharing, we can find some favorite sites to ease our searches.

Occasional Contributor

We have been making this german chocolate frosting ever since at least 1962, for our german chocolate cakes.

German Chocolate Frosting

1 package german sweet chocolate

one half cup butter

2 eggs

one half teaspoon vanilla

Melt butter and chocolate together in saucepan over low heat stirring constantly.

Beat eggs until thick in separate bowl.

Gradually add chocolate mixture beating constantly until well blended, about 5 minutes.

Chill in bowl until set, about 15 minutes.  Then add vanilla, and beat until creamy and light in color.  It takes about a minute and a half by mixer.

Makes 2 cups, or enough for a 13 by 9 pan.

This is delicious, and I hope it is what you are looking for,