Trusted Contributor

Love Vintage Recipes ?

[ Edited ]

I just spent W-A-Y too much time browsing this site.  I don't know why I've never found it before today, but I was searching for a recipe for a Chocolate Frosting that used to be on the Baker's German's Sweet Baking Chocolate label and found this link.

The homepage is

(removed by QVC because it was a live l.ink) 

Click the + sign next to "Food & Drink" and the first item in the pulldown menu is "Vintage Recipes".  Dates range from the 1800's to at least the 1990's.  Many of them are from print ads (Remember "Hot Dr Pepper" from the 1960's ?).  Generally speaking, they show the ad, and then the recipe is printed out below in case the ad is hard to read.

Don't even start browsing here unless you have lots of spare time.  They have other "Memories and Memorabilia" but I only looked through (some of) the recipes.  One of my favorites was a Drop Scone recipe sent from Queen Elizabeth to President Eisenhower.

By the way, does anybody have a copy of that frosting recipe?  NOT the Coconut-Pecan Frosting that goes with German Chocolate Cake, but a Chocolate Frosting or Filling for a yellow layer cake.  My search got a little sidetracked!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited 10-15-2017

Sorry, all, and sorry, QVC, I didn't realize that direct links which aren't retail sites were forbidden.  As someone posted below, the site can be found at clickamericana dot com. 

Honored Contributor

Great, now it's going to be @Honeybit 's fault when I waste my weekend on this site.  I've been looking at the cars and trucks. Even found my Driver's Ed car.

Respected Contributor

Wow, you're right.  I could get lost in those recipes for hours.

Check out the frosting recipe on this site.  It might be what you're looking for.

http://dyingforchocolate.blogspot.com/2012/01/americas-3-favorite-chocolate-foods.html

Respected Contributor

Thanks @Honeybit! I love looking at vintage recipes! Already found one to make. Banana-marshmallow pie(1963) easy and sounds delicious!😋

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Esteemed Contributor

I don't have to look them up, I cooked them!  I have several vintage cookbooks but my favorite and the one I raised my family on was Betty Crocker's from 1955.

Trusted Contributor

Help, QVC poofed the link...is it Taste of H..?  Can you give part of the name?

Respected Contributor

Re: Love Vintage Recipes ?

[ Edited ]

@Honeybit...Maybe this is the Frosting recipe you are looking For?

http://dyingforchocolate.blogspot.com/2016/05/may-day-queen-of-may-chocolate-cake.html

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9wGpQ4cikT0/UYAs2bXuNDI/AAAAAAAATHc/62EyMJvjMAY/s1600/Cake+recipe.png

~A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words~
Respected Contributor

@KLevineFan wrote:

Help, QVC poofed the link...is it Taste of H..?  Can you give part of the name?

clickamericana dot com

Esteemed Contributor

Melvin--you've disappointed me!  Why did you delete the vintage recipes website!!  Was so looking forward to browsing through it.....

Respected Contributor

just give the name of the site, not the link. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy