Regular Contributor

Lost pork chop recipe recovered :)

I looked for this recipe EVERYWHERE. Don't you hate that? I used to make this a lot when my Mom was alive, she loved it and it was so good in the winter time when it was cold out. I started feeling nostalgic lately and these came to my mind and I kind of remembered what was in the recipe since it's so simple but I just wanted to see it again to confirm I was remembering correctly. Finally, I wrote to the magazine the recipe was in and a nice person was kind enough to look it up and email me the recipe last night! I am so excited to make these again soon! I hope someone else finds this as tasty as I do! When I was dieting I made them with broth instead of the cream at the end and I made a slurry with some cornstarch to thicken. It too was really tasty with the pork falling apart tender and the onions dissolved to make a wonderful gravy. It's really simple but so wonderful.These might be good with some smoked paprika added to the gravy too. I didn't have that back in 1993 Smiley Happy

The Best Of All Possible Pork Chops
[by Robert Farrar Capon; from Eating Well Magazine, November/December 1993]

1. Select 8 large, one-inch-thick pork chops; do not trim off any of the fat.
2. In a 15-inch skillet over high heat, brown them on both sides in a little rendered pork fat.
3. Smother them with 3 or 4 large Spanish onions, slivered.
4. Sprinkle on a little salt and pepper, cover the skillet securely, turn the heat very low, and cook for 2 1/2 hours without peeking.
5. Uncover. Remove the chops to a heated, deep platter. Add 1/2 pint of heavy cream to the onions and liquid in the pan, raise the heat, and boil until the mixture is reduced to a sauce-like consistency.
6. Judiciously season to taste with additional salt and pepper, pour over the chops, and serve with mashed potatoes and some aggressive greens (collards cooked with ham hocks, perhaps, or broccoli di rape prepared with extra-virgin olive oil, garlic and some balsamic vinegar).