Honored Contributor
On 4/8/2015 lolakimono said:

I use 1/4 of a cup when I make that quantity.

That sounds more like it. When making regular hot tea, it is most often about 1 tsp. per 6-8 oz cup. Because ice will melt and dilute the tea, I'd use at least that much.

I don't think you should need baking soda unless you have certain water conditions. Also, don't steep the tea much longer than 5 min (if at all longer) because it will get bitter. And I'm talking about regular black tea here. Oolong, white and green are not steeped as long, and oolongs usually can be steeped more than once. But not most black teas.

Contributor
On 4/8/2015 Sooner said:
On 4/8/2015 lolakimono said:

I use 1/4 of a cup when I make that quantity.

That sounds more like it. When making regular hot tea, it is most often about 1 tsp. per 6-8 oz cup. Because ice will melt and dilute the tea, I'd use at least that much.

I don't think you should need baking soda unless you have certain water conditions. Also, don't steep the tea much longer than 5 min (if at all longer) because it will get bitter. And I'm talking about regular black tea here. Oolong, white and green are not steeped as long, and oolongs usually can be steeped more than once. But not most black teas.

When I typed about baking soda usage is was not in reference to any water conditions, it was about your body/digestion, chemical reactions of brewed tea, etc...I apologize, I should have made myself clearer on what I was typing about.

Trusted Contributor
On 4/6/2015 Katey1261 said:
On 4/6/2015 codywhitney said:

I never rinse my tea leaves! I have no idea what an Ice Tea maker is but it should have directions that came with it giving you amounts.How much you use depends on how strong you like your tea.I suggest you Google your question.

Here is a link to my Iced Tea Maker codywhitney.
http://westbend.com/iced-tea-maker.html

It says 1-3 Tablespoons for 2 quarts. That isn't very much.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
On 4/9/2015 Katey1261 said:

I never rinse my tea leaves! I have no idea what an Ice Tea maker is but it should have directions that came with it giving you amounts.How much you use depends on how strong you like your tea.I suggest you Google your question.

Let's see: 2 cups is a pint; 2 pints is a quart; so that is 8 cups. Then 3 tsps is a tablespoon, so 3 tbsps is 9 teaspoons. That's about right for hot tea. . . 1 tsp (average) per 6 to 8 oz.

Somebody check my math (or lack thereof!).

Trusted Contributor
On 4/9/2015 Sooner said:
On 4/9/2015 Katey1261 said:

Let's see: 2 cups is a pint; 2 pints is a quart; so that is 8 cups. Then 3 tsps is a tablespoon, so 3 tbsps is 9 teaspoons. That's about right for hot tea. . . 1 tsp (average) per 6 to 8 oz.

Somebody check my math (or lack thereof!).

So I start with three tablespoons? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}