Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I have a question for those that use loose leaf tea. I bought some Irish Breakfast Organic Tea and I want to 2 Quarts of Iced Tea. How many Teaspoons would you use? I'm using a Iced Tea Maker. Also do you rinse your Tea before using?

Regular Contributor

I never rinse my tea leaves! I have no idea what an Ice Tea maker is but it should have directions that came with it giving you amounts.How much you use depends on how strong you like your tea.I suggest you Google your question.

Trusted Contributor
On 4/6/2015 codywhitney said:

I never rinse my tea leaves! I have no idea what an Ice Tea maker is but it should have directions that came with it giving you amounts.How much you use depends on how strong you like your tea.I suggest you Google your question.

Here is a link to my Iced Tea Maker codywhitney.
http://westbend.com/iced-tea-maker.html

Super Contributor

I would think that if you rinse your tea leaves, you would lose some of the flavor. I use loose tea leaves on occasion, and never rinse them. As far as iced tea, as the above poster stated, it all depends on your personal taste. I would be a little generous with the loose tea when making iced tea, because cold mutes the flavor of all foods. You will probably have to experiment until you feel that you have the correct amount for your liking.

Trusted Contributor
On 4/6/2015 WSfan said:

I would think that if you rinse your tea leaves, you would lose some of the flavor. I use loose tea leaves on occasion, and never rinse them. As far as iced tea, as the above poster stated, it all depends on your personal taste. I would be a little generous with the loose tea when making iced tea, because cold mutes the flavor of all foods. You will probably have to experiment until you feel that you have the correct amount for your liking.

Thanks WSfan.

Esteemed Contributor

I make iced tea all the time in my Hobbs tea maker. The caraffe holds one quart, so I place 2.5 teaspoons into the infuser. Note: This is to my taste, plus the teaspoons are teaspoons that are part of my daily flatware, not measuring teaspoons.

Once the tea is brewed in my 1 qt caraffe, I get out my 2 qt pitcher, place 3 large scoops of ice in it and pour the hot tea over it. It's then placed in the frig, where the ice slowly melts and slightly dilutes the tea.

So, for you, I'd advise using 4 teaspoons of tea, depending on how strong you like it. (I tend to like my tea on the strong side.)

Good luck!

Trusted Contributor
On 4/6/2015 sfnative said:

I make iced tea all the time in my Hobbs tea maker. The caraffe holds one quart, so I place 2.5 teaspoons into the infuser. Note: This is to my taste, plus the teaspoons are teaspoons that are part of my daily flatware, not measuring teaspoons.

Once the tea is brewed in my 1 qt caraffe, I get out my 2 qt pitcher, place 3 large scoops of ice in it and pour the hot tea over it. It's then placed in the frig, where the ice slowly melts and slightly dilutes the tea.

So, for you, I'd advise using 4 teaspoons of tea, depending on how strong you like it. (I tend to like my tea on the strong side.)

Good luck!

Thank you so much sfnative.

Contributor

I use a Vermont 2.5 qt catamount (lab glass) set up so I cant help you there, but would like to tell you to add a pinch of baking soda to your finished brewed tea- stir well, makes all the difference in the world...

Honored Contributor

I use 1/4 of a cup when I make that quantity.

Valued Contributor
On 4/6/2015 Katey1261 said:
On 4/6/2015 codywhitney said:

Here is a link to my Iced Tea Maker codywhitney.
http://westbend.com/iced-tea-maker.html

Katey1261, the instructions for making 2 quarts of iced tea using bags or loose tea is in the link you provided.