Regular Contributor

Re: Looking for your best biscuit recipe! (for biscuits & honey)

Best easy ones I have made from a prepared product was Formula L that you just mix with buttermilk.  This product is available in the south from what I gather.  Found out about it on YouTube. (You can do a search to learn about it).  It is not available in my area, but I was able to purchase it on Am....on.  Makes great high and fluffy biscuits.  You can do it as a drop or rolled out and cut biscuit.  Good for shortcake biscuits as well.

Esteemed Contributor

I have had such a hankering for warm biscuits and my raspberry freezer jam and then you all send out tons of great biscuit recipes. It's obviously fated for me to make biscuits. Smiley Happy
"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

I have never made biscuits. I mess with the dough too long so they would not be any good. LOL!!!

DH has been making them on/off trying to find a good one. He finally made some that are pretty good IMO. He says he will make them every week? I told him I cannot eat them every week. 

He uses the buttermilk biscuit recipe on handletheheat site online. He bakes them at 400° instead of her 450°.

I saw a 3 ingredient biscuit made with coconut oil on gimmesomeoven site online that look pretty good. 

I need to get DH to make them.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I have never made biscuits. I mess with the dough too long so they would not be any good. LOL!!!

DH has been making them on/off trying to find a good one. He finally made some that are pretty good IMO. He says he will make them every week? I told him I cannot eat them every week. 

He uses the buttermilk biscuit recipe on handletheheat site online. He bakes them at 400° instead of her 450°.

I saw a 3 ingredient biscuit made with coconut oil on gimmesomeoven site online that look pretty good. 

An oil-based biscuit won't be the same as one with solid shortening/fat. (I said as good originally, but different people like different things.) You need those flattened globs of a solid shortening/fat to create the fluffy layers you look for in a good biscuit. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

An oil-based biscuit won't be the same as one with solid shortening/fat. (I said as good originally, but different people like different things.) You need those flattened globs of a solid shortening/fat to create the fluffy layers you look for in a good biscuit. 

@gardenman 

You are so right. DH cuts up butter & puts in the freezer before he makes biscuits.

The 3 ingredient coconut oil biscuits used solid coconut so maybe it would work if you also put in the freezer?

I don't know. Here's a pic from gimmesomeoven site.

I can hear DH mumbling what a waste of time. LOL!!!

Coconut oil biscuits.PNG

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Truly remarkable biscuits have to start with Southern Soft White Wheat flour such as White Lily.  No substitutions.  And ingredients have to be fresh all the way around whatever you use. 

Biscuits are more about how the dough is mixed and formed and baked than about a recipe.  It's a skill and a talent.  Watch grandmothers make biscuits on YouTube and you'll learn a lot.

Valued Contributor

Flaky Buttermilk Biscuit recipe by Chef Carla Hall. Delicious and have been compared to Popeyes.
Honored Contributor

If you change your mind on self-rising flour, Blue Jean Chef No Roll Buttermilk Biscuits are SO good and SO easy!!

Respected Contributor

Heart  Biscuits and Gravy.

Honored Contributor

@poobear1 wrote:
I suggest you check You Tube - Momma Joyce video. She has one of the best, if not the best for biscuits, as well as several other outstanding recipes. She's seems to be such a sweetheart.

@poobear1 Thank you so much!  And I love the look of Grandma Johnson's biscuits too!  She has a good video. And it's gotta be in how you handle them more than the exact amount of ingredienets.  

I love watching these ladies and their skills!  So thanks I'd never seen Momma Joyce!