Valued Contributor

Re: Looking for your best biscuit recipe! (for biscuits & honey)

@Mz iMac wrote:

I'm lazy. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at Thu, Nov 5, 2020-3.02.58 PM.png

Actually I love Bisquick for strawberry shortcake biscuits.  Ha - maybe I should try it for regular ones!

Regular Contributor

https://www.sugardishme.com/the-biggest-fattest-fluffiest-all-butter-biscuits/

The biggest fattest fluffiest all butter biscuits. Just made these last week. Very good!

Honored Contributor

Biscuit recipes are very much alike.  It is more in the way you handle the dough and the way you learn to judge who much liquid to incorporate.

Watch YouTube videos of old ladies making biscuits. 

Honored Contributor

I prefer to use shortening instead of butter, feeling it gives a nice firm texture to the biscuit.  I do not want my biscuits to crumble.

Honored Contributor

@lovethgedress  Good Lawd!!!!!!  I was exhausted after reading the recipe. Smiley Surprised

Told ya'll I was lazy. Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

@tarsmom Have you tried "Butter Swim Biscuits"? You can find a good recipe for them on 12tomatoes. They are really decadent, and probably something you would make only once in awhile, but WOW are they good!!

Trusted Contributor

@Re: Looking for your best biscuit recipe! (for biscuits & honey)

If you can get on Facebook, search for Cooking With Brenda Gantt.   She has a video of how to make biscuits...very helpful.

Respected Contributor

Ruth's Mile High Biscuits are legendary in the State of Utah!  Ruth's is a popular diner in Emmigration Canyon and has been there for decades.

Ingredients
  • 2 1/2-2 3/4 cups all purpose flour* see recipe notes
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 oz unsalted butter chilled and cut into small cubes (Ruth uses margarine)
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk chilled and shaken well
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/4 cup water
Instructions
  1. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees
  2. Combine 2 1/2 cups flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and butter till crumbly, using a pastry cutter, or two knives, or your fingers.

3. Add the buttermilk, egg and water. Mix with a fork or large utensil just until all of the wet and dry ingredients are combined using a folding motion, instead of stirring.

4. Pat out lightly onto a floured surface into a 6x6 square. Cut into 9 even pieces. Move to a 8x8 or 9x9 square ungreased pan to bake.

5. Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately!

Recipe Notes
  1. The dough will be more wet or dry depending on your climate. Start with 2 1/2 cups flour. When all of the ingredients are mixed together, the dough should be pliable but not sticky wet. If the dough looks wet, add a couple of tablespoons of flour, sprinkling on until the dough is no longer shiny (see photos) If the dough is dry, you may add a little water of buttermilk to the dough by sprinkling on top of dough and then folding together again. 
  2. Make sure to use a pan and not a cookie sheet to bake the biscuits! See post for details. 
  3. If using a dark pan, the biscuits will brown more and may be done closer to the 12 minute mark. The dark pan absorbs heat and will cook the biscuits faster. 
  4. I use a ruler to determine a 3 inch biscuit which makes it easier to fit back into pan when baking. The use of a dough scraper to move the biscuits into the pan is also recommended. 
  5. If doubling this recipe, use a 9x13 pan

This biscuit is more fluffy than flakey. 

You can find this recipe and many more at abountifulkitchen dot com

Honored Contributor

My biscuit recipe is extremely basic, but very good and reliable. It's six ounces of self-rising flour, one ounce of solid white Crisco and 5 ounces of milk. It'll be a fairly wet dough, but not too bad. Give it about ten kneads on the floured dough board, then roll it out into a square or rectangle about a half inch thick. Cut that into four equally sized/shaped pieces, brush off any flour on those four pieces, stack them atop one another then roll the dough out again and cut into biscuits. It makes five biscuits which is perfect for me. The dough stacking is something I learned from Claire Saffitz formerly of Bon Appetit's Test Kitchen. By doing that simple technique you quadruple the number of layers. You don't want to overwork a biscuit dough and a moister dough will give you a lighter biscuit.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

You are all amazing!  Thank you SO much; I can't wait to give your recommendations a try Smiley Happy