Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for advice regarding red velvet cake.

Heck just get one from a bakery.  If someone loves Red Velvet Cake, that's what they want--the real deal old time cake!  

It's only one party.  Just serve a red velvet cake and go on with life!  Woman Very Happy  We worry too much about stuff like this!  

Respected Contributor

Ug, I really dislike red velvet cake. But, if it's what your DL requested and she's used to the traditional dyed version, I'm not sure how you can change it, without her detecting a difference. 

If it was me, I think I'd ask her if she'd be okay with a alternative red coloring, explaining why. It's possible she never has considered that this cake might be unhealthy. 

Esteemed Contributor

The "original" Red Velvet Cake did not use red food coloring.

Google it.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Can you make the cake without the dye?  After all, the dye doesn't add any flavor - does it?

@ValuSkr  It adds a metallic taste to the cake if you put too much in and let's face if you are trying to turn a chocolate cake red there's a lot of food coloring in it!

I once ate Red Velvet cookies before I brushed my teeth.  I forgot I had eaten the cookies and when I spit into the sink I said to myself, well I'll either be dead before the day's out or toothless.  Then I remembered.....

Honored Contributor

I LOVE @Just Bling's recipe for this cake!  Why sweat 2 Tbsp of red food coloring when the icing is made with 16 Tbsps of butter?

Honored Contributor

My step daughter made a red velvet cake and did not use the food coloring...it was very un appetizing looking...and did not look at all like a chocolate cake.
I have made red velvet cake many times...I never taste the food coloring.

Honored Contributor

Okay, as promised, here's my update and review.  I used several dabs of gel food coloring and the batter looked red.  After it baked, it was more of an ugly brown color.  My son and DIL, who have had experience with this cake, said it was excellent despite its sad hue.  Personally, I don't get it... other than the delightful cream cheese/whipped cream frosting from "Joy of Baking", there was nothing about this cake that made me ever want to bake one again. The birthday girl was happy, and that's what counts.

red velvet cake august 2021.JPG

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat- I've made a few red velvet cakes in my day and I've never found the food coloring to add an aftertaste as it does in frosting.

If you bake the cake again (same me a slice) try it with the correct measurement of food coloring.  I think you'll be pleased with the taste and color of the cake. : )

Honored Contributor

@house_cat The attraction of the cake is it is festive, it's different, and a little exotic, and for a lot of people it is a family tradition with good memories.  

Also, it is great for Christmas, Labor Day, Fourth of July, Memorial day, birthdays, and of course in the South tailgates IF your team colors are red and white.

It's like cupcakes with sprinkles.  I can't figure out for the life of me anything attractive about that.  So many desserts I see featured on line are so garish it makes Red Velvet Cake look elegant. There is something about all those pastel colors and food. . . Woman Frustrated

But to me, nothing beats a real, old time Caramel Cake anyway!  Heart

Trusted Contributor

I'm in the minority here but love red velvet cake!  Yes, lots of dye, but all in moderation.  I rarely eat sweets anymore, but nothing beats a good red velvet cupcake Smiley Happy

The taste is chocolate, but it's different from a normal chocolate cake (not sure exactly what ingredients make it different, I've never made one)