Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for advice regarding red velvet cake.

@house_cat Make the cake, take a bite when it is served and don't eat the rest of the piece!  It's not worth displeasing someone.  Millions and millions have eaten a lot of them.  

I think they are disgusting, but it isn't worth disappointing someone over.  

Respected Contributor

Walmart sells Betty Crocker Red Velvet cake mix.

since my southern MIL thinks it's a delicacy I have had the version of chocolate cake with lots of red food dye. Don't taste it but not my preference.

Respected Contributor

Plant based food coloring works great & it's easy to find, most grocery stores stock it.

Respected Contributor

I went through my reference library for you and found this Red Velvet Cake that is more Cocoa colored than the bright red colored cake.

Why this recipe works, although the exact origins of this cake are muddled, the appeal of a tender shocking bright red cake swathed in fluffy cream cheese frosting is undeniable.  For a cake with an extra tender crumb, we used two unexpected ingredients, buttermilk and vinegar.  They reacted with our receipe's baking soda to create a fine, tender crumb.  We zeroed in on the perfect amount of cocoa that would add a dark hue to the cake and well as lending a pleasant cocoa flavor.

please note this recipe must be prepared with a natural cocoa powder, dutch processed cocoa will not yield the proper color or rise.

RED VELVET CAKE

CAKE

2-1/4 cups all purpose flour

1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda

pinch salt

1 cup buttermilk

2 large eggs

1 Tablespoon distilled white vinegar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 Tablespoons cocoa powder

2 Tablespoons red food coloring

12 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

1-1/2 cups granulated sugar

Adjust oven rack to middle of oven and heat to 350 deg,

grease 2 9" round cake pans, line with parchment, grease parchment, then flour pans  (very important)

Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl.

Whisk buttermilk, eggs, vinegar and vanilla in a 4 cup liquid measuring cup.  Mix cocoa with food coloring in a small bowl until smooth paste forms.

Using stand mixer with paddle, beat butter and sugar together on med/high speed until pale and fluffy about 3 minutes.  Reduce speed to med/low and add flour mixture in 3 additions alternating with buttermilk mixture in 2 additions, scraping down bowl when needed.  Add cocoa mixture and beat on medium speed until completely incorporated about 30 seconds.  Give the batter a final stir by hand.  Pour batter into 2 prepared pans, bake 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Cool on wire racks then remove from pan, peel parchment and let cool on wire racks.

FROSTING

16 Tablespoons unsalted butter softened

4 cups confectioners sugar

16 ounces softened cream cheese cut into 8 pcs

1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

pinch salt

using stand mixer with paddle, beat butter with sugar until pale and fluffy about 2 minutes.  add cream cheese 1 pc at a time and beat until incorporated.  beat in vanilla and salt.  refrigerate until ready to use.

assembly  one layer on platter, spread 2 cups frosting to edge, top with 2nd cake and spread remaining frosting evenly over top and sides.  cake can be refrigerated up to 3 days.

*****please note they show a picture of the cake, it's more of a cocoa red color than a bright red cake *****

Recipe from Cooks Country TV Show Cookbook

I have not made this one but it looks easy.  I have proof read the ingredients to make sure what I typed is correct.

I'm sure if you don't use the cream cheese frosting and just a regular buttercream, the cake won't need refrigeration.

Don't take too long alternating the liquid with the flour mixture, beating the cake too long will change your cake from a delicate texture to a dense texture.  Just keep it moving, dry wet dry wet dry

What's important is the sugar and butter are fluffy to begin with.

I hope she'll appreciate all your efforts and this is a perfect birthday cake.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling 

Thank you for taking the time to post the recipe.

I referred to my go-to baker, Stephanie Jaworski, "Joy of Baking". Her videos are the best, in my opinion.

Here it is if anyone is interested.

She also uses mascarpone and whipped cream in her cream cheese frosting, which sounds divine.  Cream cheese frosting is my favorite, so I need to try that.

In her recipe, she uses 2 T of red dye to color the buttermilk. #yuck

I have gel dyes, which will only require a couple of dabs to achieve that color.  I'll check the local store today and see if I can find veg based dyes. If not, I'm just going to bite the bullet and use my gel dye.  It's what the birthday girl asked for, and she's definitely worth it.

Of course I'll post the results and give an honest review of how it turned out.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Can you make the cake without the dye?  After all, the dye doesn't add any flavor - does it?

@ValuSkr    How would you get it to be red?  It would just be an ordinary chocolate cake. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

Can you make the cake without the dye?  After all, the dye doesn't add any flavor - does it?

@ValuSkr    How would you get it to be red?  It would just be an ordinary chocolate cake. 

@Kachina624   Ha! - that's what I thought.  What's the attraction of chocolate cake that's red?  I must have been born on another planet...

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@house_cat 

I'm gagging a bit as I write this, but the "natural" versions suggest beets for the coloring.

That might appeal to your DIL.  

@lolakimono wrote:

@house_cat 

I'm gagging a bit as I write this, but the "natural" versions suggest beets for the coloring.

That might appeal to your DIL.  

@lolakimono    I laughed out loud when I read this.  When I was about 10 years old, I made dad a birthday cake.  I wanted to decorate it with red roses but discovered we had no food coloring.  Being an enterprising child, I opened a can of beets and colored my icing with some of the juice.

The result was not good.  The roses were runny and the flavor yucky.  Of course dad raved over it.  At least we could scrape off the icing.  I don't know what you'd do if beet flavor infused the whole cake.   Diet, I guess. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Kachina624   Ha! - that's what I thought.  What's the attraction of chocolate cake that's red?  I must have been born on another planet...

There are many article online about Chocolate Cake vs Red Velvet Cake. There are differences between the two, besides red color.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

I don't think the amount of food coloring needed for this cake to be of great concern.   The amount called for is for the entire cake, and unless you eat the entire cake, the amount you get in a serving is minimal.