Contributor

Re: Looking for a recipe for chicken noodle soup.

All these sound good, thank you
Super Contributor

On 8/29/2014 spookyghost said: ...This is my signature dish that I am asked for though out the winter. And no one asks when they are sick because they know that I will make it for them.

spooky, that sounds so sweet. I wish I were in your inner circle! - Bird

Regular Contributor

Awe you are so kind! Thank you! I would make this for you too!
Honored Contributor

On 8/29/2014 Chihuahualuv said:

This is the recipe I like best. It's from Rachel Ray and you make it in the slow cooker which is a plus for me. Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 1 1/2 pounds bone-in, skin-on, chicken thighs Salt and pepper 1/3 pound ditalini 2 carrots, cut in small dice 2 celery stalks, cut in small dice 4 cups water Zest and juice of 1 lemon.

PREPARATION In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and brown on both sides; place them into slow cooker pot. Toast up the pasta in the same skillet the chicken was browned up in. Add the carrots, celery and water to the slow cooker, cover and cook undisturbed for 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. Add pasta to the soup 15 minutes before serving. Once the soup is done cooking, liven it up with freshly squeezed lemon juice and some zest.

This recipe sounds very good and I have copied and pasted it. Have you tried lemon extract in place of lemon juice? Have you tried wide noodles in place of ditalini?

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Frequent Contributor

This is my favorite recipe. It's very easy and quick to make. I found it in our local newspaper and have been using it for 10 years. I like to use leftover rotisserie chicken from the supermarket.

CHICKEN-VEGETABLE SOUP WITH NOODLES

Here is a Basic Recipe that can be varied in many different ways. The leek adds distinctive sweet flavor; but you could use an extra onion instead. If you don’t have cooked chicken, use 2 or 3 boneless chicken breasts, cube them, and add with carrots and celery, or use any combination of vegetables. You can even substitute canned, drained white beans instead of noodles.

1 medium leek (white portion only), well-washed and trimmed

1-1/2 tsp butter or olive oil

1 onion, cut into ¼-inch dice

6 cups defatted chicken broth or vegetable broth

2 carrots, thinly sliced

2 stalks celery, thinly sliced

2 ounces dried egg noodles

½ cup freshly shelled or frozen green peas

1 cup canned diced tomato

2 cups cooked, skinless, boneless white-meat chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces

½ cup minced parsley

Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.

• Wash leek thoroughly to remove any dirt. Drain well, pat dry and slice thinly into rings.
  • In a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add leek and onion; sauté slowly until soft and translucent; do not allow to burn.
  • Increase heat to medium-high, add broth; bring to gentle boil. Add carrots, celery and noodles. Adjust lid so that saucepan is only partially covered, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until vegetables and noodles are just tender (taste-test noodles for doneness after about 10 minutes; continue cooking, if necessary, until noodles are done to taste).
  • Add peas, tomato and chicken; stir to blend. Cover and simmer 5 minutes, or until peas are crisp-tender and chicken is heated through.
  • Add parsley; stir to blend. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn off heat; cover and let stand 2 or 3 minutes. Serve hot in warmed bowls.

Makes 6 cups, about 6 servings.

Source: Cole’s Cooking A to Z

Honored Contributor

My recipe can be made in a stock pot but I use my 4 qt pressure cooker. I put 3 boneless and skinless chicken breast, one chopped onion and a bay leaf with two cups chicken broth in the pressure cooker and cook for 25 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Cool the chicken and pull apart with fingers ( I use plastic gloves). Put chicken back in pressure cooker. Add 2 cups of wide noodles, and one can of cream corn, 2 tablespoons of parsley flakes . Add more chicken broth if you like a lot of soup. Cook for 5 more minutes. Very easy and basic recipe. My friends always request this when they want something different. I have added carrots and celery but every one prefers the basic recipe.
Respected Contributor

Place two large chicken breasts in a stock pot with two carrots, some celery, half an onion. Cover with water and bring to boil. Simmer for one and a half hours. While simmering, slice 7 or 8 medium carrots, 5 or six celery stalks. After chicken is cooked, remove from pot along with the vegetables. Now you have your stock. Strain and pour back in pot. Add sliced vegetables. Cook over low heat. Shred chicken and add about half to the soup. Make chicken salad with other half. Smiley Happy Cook soup until vegetables are cooked. Sometimes I add a vegetarian salt free boullion cube for taste, sometimes not. I freeze in quart containers so I always have soup handy. When ready to eat, you can cook with rice, noodles,or orzo. Good, wholesome, nothing artificial, low salt and fat. I use local free range chicken and never have to skim. The breast I use are bone in, with the skin on.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

Make chicken stock, shred the meat off bones, add egg noodles! Viola! Chicken noodle soup. EasySmiley Happy

Valued Contributor

TIP.... I always boil my noodles in a separate pot and store in a Lock and Lock container in the fridge. This way the noodles do not absorb all the soup broth. You do not need to warm the noodles up the next day. Just put cold noodles in a serving bowl and add your hot chicken soup, the noodles will get hot immediately. You can do the same thing with white rice and alternate between Chicken and noodle or Chicken and rice soup.

Warm your crackers up on a cookie sheet in oven for 5 to 10 minutes!

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you