Super Contributor

Re: Looking for a recipe for Coney Island Sauce for hot dogs

What a great thread! Thanks to all for the recipes.

Just read a newspaper article about a family owned Coney Island HD restaurant here in my city. The article basically said the same thing Sabatini posted--their recipe has been handed down generation by generation and is closely guarded. The family is Macedonian (if i remember correctly), which is Greek.

Regular Contributor

I think the best sauce is when the meat is not browned but cooked (broken up while first starting to cook) in the liquid. It makes it a softer texture.

Katie Lee had a recipe feature on ""The Kitchen"" that I tried and it is very good. I cut the recipe in half and it still made a lot. You can find it on the food network site.

Trusted Contributor

On 7/22/2014 BooBoo2 said:

I think the best sauce is when the meat is not browned but cooked (broken up while first starting to cook) in the liquid. It makes it a softer texture.

Katie Lee had a recipe feature on ""The Kitchen"" that I tried and it is very good. I cut the recipe in half and it still made a lot. You can find it on the food network site.

Boo: I am unable to find the recipe. Would you please post it.

Boop

Honored Contributor

On 7/12/2014 elruth said:

My husband lived in Detroit until he was in his late 30's. Lafayette ( name of street ) Coney Island hot dogs were fabulous! I happened to post this recipe recently on Facebook. He just made if and said it tasted like the real thing! He's 84 now.

For Lafayette Coney Island fans!

CopyCat Lafayette Coney Island Sauce Recipe

Serves: 20 or so hotdogs
Prep Time: 20 Min
Cook Time: 15 Min

Ingredients
1 lb lean ground beef
3 Tbsp canola oil
14 oz chicken stock
4 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp each, chili powder and paprika
1 tsp each cumin and tumeric
3 cubes chicken bouillon
6 oz v-8 juice

Directions
Heat the oil in a large saute pan and brown the meat in it until no longer pink. Use a potato masher to break it up into very small bits.
In a blender, add all the rest and whirr up for a couple of seconds. Pour into the cooked meat, and heat until it comes to a soft boil and it thickens up.
When done, remove 2 c from the pan and return to blender and puree. Pour back in the pan. You are done. Serve at the table with a ladle.
Proper coney eating etiquette: place two buns on a plate, add a hot dog to each. Ladle about 2-3 tbsp of sauce on each. Throw on a handful of raw diced onions and squiggle some ballpark mustard atop. Grab a fork!

This is the only recipe I would use! Can't ever go wrong with coneys from Detroit! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

"Pure Michigan"