Super Contributor

Looking for a really good recipe for pie crust

I've used the same recipe for years, the one in the Kitchenaid booklet, last few times it was so dry to roll out, Ready for something better.

Respected Contributor

Re: Looking for a really good recipe for pie crust

Hands down, the flakiest, tastiest pie crust EVER...

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/p-p-p-pie_crust_and_its_p-p-p-perfect/

Frequent Contributor

I recently was in the same boat, and found a recipe that is fantastic! Really wonderful flavor and rolls out like a charm. Easiest crust I have ever used.

It actually is from the allrecipes site, titled " Ruth's Grandma's Pie Crust"  but in case you can't find it, here you go!

4 c. flour

3 T sugar

2 t salt  

1 3/4 c shortening

1 egg

1/2 c ice water

Combine flour, sugar, salt, & shortening until crumbly.

In a small bowl mix the egg and water together, then add  to the flour mixture. Chill 

My notes: I used 1 1/4 c cold butter (in pieces) and 1/2 c Crisco. Also, I didn't need all the water, so start with a little less. You can always add more. And, I only used 1 t salt since I used salted butter.

Honestly, this is marvelous! I froze several "discs" and it still rolled out very easily. 

Respected Contributor

@proofer   Please do yourself a favor and read this site with Maida Heatter's pie crust instructions.  Maida Heatter has forgotten more about pastry than most of us will ever know. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Trusted Contributor

I would suggest anyone wanting to make a good and easy pie crust should watch this You Tube video (https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=dMKUqnAmOFE) of Mrs. Phyllis Stokes making her crust.  This is the video I watched that has given me the ability and confidence to make my own crust now.  Her crust requires no time in the fridge.  The ingredients are listed here but you need to watch the video for the preparation.

BTW, someone recently posted Mrs. Stokes' pie crust recipe (or was it the link to the video??) using coconut oil.

Phyllis Stokes' Simple Pie Crust Recipe

1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 egg yolk

3-4 TBS ice water

1/2 cup Crisco shortening

Bake at 475° for 8-10 minutes when using for baked crust.  Double recipe for two crust pie.  

"Plastic wrap is the best thing that ever happened to pie crust. I use to use wax paper before plastic wrap was available. The best part is no flour mess everywhere. Thanks for watching and making a comment."  Phyllis

See all of her videos at http://www.southernfrugal.com

Trusted Contributor

I use the recipe from Alton Brown, made in a good processor. Have never had luck with pie crust, but this recipe, a combination of shortening & butter, works well for me. You can google the video he does. I believe his recipe is for a one-crust pie, so I double it. If you are interested in the food processor method, also check out Martha Stewart's video on making a pie crust. Good luck in your quest.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I TOTALLY agree about the recipe called "Ruth's Grandmas Pie Crust"!!!

I've tried so many, but none have ever come even remotely close to my mom's old recipe which used lard.  Ruth's Grandmas DOES.

This recipe is flaky, delicious, & is so extremely easy to work with. I've also frozen discs, & they turned out delicious. I'll never search for another pie crust recipe.

I was using Ina Garten's recipe, but this is so much easier to work with, & is so much more flaky. It's really a winner. Smiley Happy

I only used Crisco- no butter- & wouldn't change a thing.

Respected Contributor

ottosmommy wrote, in part:  It actually is from the allrecipes site, titled " Ruth's Grandma's Pie Crust"  but in case you can't find it, here you go!

4 c. flour

3 T sugar

2 t salt  

1 3/4 c shortening

1 egg

1/2 c ice water

In a small bowl mix the egg and water together, then add  to the flour mixture. Chill 

My notes: I used 1 1/4 c cold butter (in pieces) and 1/2 c Crisco. Also, I didn't need all the water, so start with a little less. You can always add more. And, I only used 1 t salt since I used salted butter.

@NVmimi   How many pie shells does this yield?  Four?

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Super Contributor

@proofer wrote:

I've used the same recipe for years, the one in the Kitchenaid booklet, last few times it was so dry to roll out, Ready for something better.

Hi proofer,

I use the recipe from the blue can, but don't roll it out, the only time it failed me was when I rolled it out.  A few things that will affect your dough is how the flour was stored prior to being stocked at the store and your humidty or lack of, will cause the flour to retain or lose moisture depending on the conditions.  Sometimes I have problems with my pie crust and tortilla dough and have to adjust the water accordingly.  I usually add a little water at a time mix and so on.  That may be what is happening with you crust. You could also try changing the water temperature, I find that helps sometimes.

Good luck and happy pie baking.

tkins

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG wrote:

ottosmommy wrote, in part:  It actually is from the allrecipes site, titled " Ruth's Grandma's Pie Crust"  but in case you can't find it, here you go!

4 c. flour

3 T sugar

2 t salt  

1 3/4 c shortening

1 egg

1/2 c ice water

@NVmimi   How many pie shells does this yield?  Four?

The recipe says the yield is 4, but I only get 3. I roll the dough out on a lightly floured silicone pastry mat (bought from Chef's Catalogue- on sale right now). This is BY FAR the easiest, most forgiving, most delicious pie crust I've ever tried.