Esteemed Contributor

Looking for a new apple dessert recipe? This one beats many.

I made this Apfelkuchen (Apple Cake) for a Sunday dinner on the occasion of the visit of two Aunts to my Mother's home (sisters).  They had flown out from Michigan. My Aunt June was a great baker, so I want to make something different for her.  Knowing what a lousy cook and baker my mother was, I knew that at least my Aunt June would enjoy this for dessert.  After eating her portion of Apfelkuchen, Aunt June said, "Where did you get this recipe and where did you learn how to make it and can you get me the recipe?"  My mother piped up and said, "Not from me.  I hate cooking."   So...Aunt June was given the recipe, I gave my mother a nearly hateful look and just about everyone who has eaten this Apfelkuchen over the years has really liked it.

The recipe is not difficult.  It simply has a number of steps with outstanding results you'll not forget.

Apfelkuchen

(Apple Tart with Souffle Topping)

10” springform pan, lined with rich tart pastry  (See below)

2 lbs Granny Smith Apples, sliced 1/3” thick & tossed with lemon juice & sugar

1 Tbs lemon juice

1 Tbs cane sugar

1/2 cup finely ground almonds

Rick Tart Pastry

1-3/4 cups unbleached flour

½ cup plus 1 Tbs cane sugar

1 lg egg - Chilled

½ cup plus 1 Tbs unsalted butter - Chilled

Pinch of salt

Grated peel of 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 400. Pour the flour into a chilled bowl.  Make a well in the center.  Put the sugar into the well and tamp it down into the well.  Add the egg on top of the sugar. Cut the chilled butter into 1” pieces and place them around the sides.  Add flavorings into the center of the well.  Using a pastry blender, begin blending the ingredients, starting in the center, gradually working in the butter and flour.  As you work, keep the ingredients together by scraping toward the center.  When the dough forms, it will first be mealy, like oatmeal, then will begin to clump into pea-sized bits.  When it starts to form larger lumps discard the pastry blender and press the dough into a ball with your hands.  Place it on a board or counter which has been lightly floured.  Knead it with the heel of your hand for a minute or so, until the dough is thoroughly mixed.  The dough should not be sticky.  Roll the dough into a long rope 1-1/2” in diameter, wrap in plastic wrap and chill until firm (at least 2 hours).

Line the springform pan bottom and sides with the pastry by slicing the dough rope into rounds ¼” thick. Press the rounds against the bottom and sides to secure a seal.  Weigh the dough down with dried beans placed on foil which has been molded to fit inside the pan.  Bake on the lowest rack of the oven 10-12 minutes.  Let the shell cool a few minutes before pouring the beans out.  Carefully strip off the foil.  The bottom of the tart shell will look slightly moist.  For a partially baked shell, return to the oven for another 3.5 minutes.  Note:  If the pastry on the sides has slipped down too far, use a table knife to press lightly on the pastry all the way around the pan.

Prior to placing the apples into the pan, sprinkle the finely ground almonds evenly across the bottom of the 10" pastry pan bottom.  Now arrange the apples on the pastry so they overlap slightly and form concentric circles. Do not press them down into the pastry.  Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven on the lowest rack for about 20 minutes.  While the shell with apples is baking, prepare the soufflé filling:

4 yolks

½ cups cane sugar

¾ cup sour cream

3 Tbs cornstarch

Grated peel of 1 lemon

4 egg whites

1 Tbs cane sugar

In a stand mixer, beat egg yolks until smooth. Add ½ cup sugar gradually, beating until mixture is pale yellow and fluffy.  Mix in the sour cream by spoonfuls.  Add cornstarch and lemon peel.  In another bowl and with a hand mixer, beat the egg whites with 1 Tbs cane sugar until they form stiff peaks.  Fold the egg whites into the egg yolks mixture in the large stand mixer bowl.

Remove the pan from the oven and pour the soufflé mixture over the apples: it should not go higher than the edge of the pastry. Return to the oven for 30 minutes, or until the filling has puffed and browned nicely.  Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.  Unbuckle the side of the springform pan and wait another 10 minutes before unmolding it onto a cake rack to cool thoroughly.  In the cooling phase, the soufflé will lose some height. Use a serrated knife to cut the tart, then a pie server to lift and place on a plate.

Enjoy ~ Rebecca

Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for a new apple dessert recipe? This one beats many.

Oh my goodness that sounds wonderful.I don't have a springform pan so do you think it could work in a large pie pan?

Honored Contributor

@sfnative

This sounds absolutely delicious.  Thank you for sharing your special recipe.

I would love to try it!

This may be a dopey question:  When it lists 'cane' sugar....does it mean typical white granulated sugar?

Or is this something special?

TIA!

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@sfnative

I would love to try it!

This may be a dopey question:  When it lists 'cane' sugar....does it mean typical white granulated sugar?

TIA!

@RespectLife Found this online. Natural cane sugar is made from sugar cane, while conventional white granulated sugar may be made from either cane or sugar beets. 

I know the sugar they sell at Aldi's is made from beets so I don't buy it since I have heard it does make a differece in some baking. C&H Sugar is Pure Cane Sugar. They also sell a pure cane washed raw sugar & a pure cane organic sugar.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/8891-natural-cane-sugar-vs-granulated-sugar

Honored Contributor

Thanks @Nightowlz

I always only buy Wegman's (since they still give you a full 5 lb bag)

I will have to look on the bag to see if it is from beets or not.

Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

Oh my goodness that sounds wonderful.I don't have a springform pan so do you think it could work in a large pie pan?

@dex

Having made this many times, I'd say to suit the recipe ingredients, the pan would have to be 10" wide by 2.5" high.  Here's the deal, though:  the side of the pan would need to go straight up or the pastry dough will slip quite a bit. 

This is just a thought:  If you have a 9" round pan with 2.5" high sides, this might be do-able.  You wouldn't use as much of the pastry and apples; and, when you make the souffle-like topping, there would be leftover.  The deal with using a regular round pan is the height of the pan: this recipe really needs the baker to use a round pan with at least a 2.5" height.  And a square pan could not be used, as souffles or soufle-like desserts require a round pan or dish so that a "dome" can occur during baking.

In this dessert, and because this is not strictly speaking a souffle, once out of the oven, it will fall slightly, but never fear, the taste is divine.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative thanks I am going to try it because I have t been able to stop drooling over the idea.

Esteemed Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@sfnative

I would love to try it!

TIA!

@RespectLife

The reason I indicated "cane sugar," which is regular granulated sugar as we are supposed to know it, is that many bakers, for cost sake, purchase sugar beet granulated sugar and don't know it.

In baking, sugar beet granulated sugar should be avoided, as the granules are larger than those of cane sugar, so not only take longer to break down, but can, therefore, compromise the quality of the baked item.

If you ever tune into an episode of "The Great British Bake Off" on PBS, you'll note straight away that they use a lot of "caster sugar."  Most Americans don't know what this is.  British bakers commonly use this granulated sugar that we know as "superfine" granulated sugar, as it incorporated better and in less time.  This lessens the chances for the sugar-butter-egg mixture to curdle/separate.

Hope this helps.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

@sfnative thanks I am going to try it because I have t been able to stop drooling over the idea.

@dex

My husband, who is NOT a dessert person, always has a piece of this.  Then the next day, has a piece for breakfast.  (When my daughter was a teen, even she and her friends liked this, so there is something to the combination of the apples, tiny bit of almond on the bottom, slight taste of lemon in the souffle-like top and the pastry.  It's one of those things where you want to take a bite with everything in it.  Hope you enjoy as much as we have.

BTW, the pastry crust is not like our pie crust.  It's slightly sweet.  The Germans have many versions of pastry crust from pretty bland to very sweet and much like a thin, snap cookie.  This one is not quite in the middle of the road, but does well with a fruit like apples.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative I love German cooking.I have a friend who makes the best pastries and meals.She always makes a linzer torte for my birthday that is killer.

I think your DH is proof that this is a five stair dessert.