Valued Contributor

Re: Looking for a dish to bring to family reunion!

On 7/31/2014 birkin baby said:

I know there needs to be some main dishes to go with these tasty ideas posted.Last year I bought two chicken pot pies from Costco deli.. cooked them and brought them to a family reunion.Those pans were empty so fast. Everyone liked them and they serve a lot of people. This is,also my go-to for funeral food. It is so easy. It's all roasted chicken breast too...no gross dark chicken,peas carrots,creamy sauce and a good crust on top and bottom. Another idea I do is pick up a cheese and a pepperoni pizza from dominoes on the way .. it's already cut into squares.Little kids love it. It's another family reunion and funeral staple...pizza is good hot,room temp,or cold. I do cook but really people just love these idea. I would not bake a chicken pie since Costco makes a better one.

Love Costco's Chicken Pot pies!

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Valued Contributor

On 7/31/2014 luvtoshopathome said: How about an Italian pasta salad, there's no mayo. I've made this for outdoor gatherings. Boil up some pasta, after it's cooked cool it. Then take olives, roasted peppers( you buy in a jar) cut them up, celery, mozzarella or provolone cheese, also cut up, and you can cut up some ham, pepperoni or whatever cold cut you like or the meat can be omitted. I also add marinated artichoke hearts but it's not necessary. Then buy a packet of good seasons dry Italian dressing mix, follow the directions on the packet, I use a light vinegar and use less than is called for and add a pinch of sugar. Mix it into the pasta and let it sit for a couple of hours or overnight. It's really delicious. I also have a great very easy recipe for a pineapple casserole, that is like a thin bread pudding that you cut in square pieces. It is so good if you like pineapple, let me know if you want the recipe. It only has 5 ingredients.

Is it called "Scalloped Pineapple"? I just got a recipe from "Cooking it YOUR way!" on FB, it sounded wonderful to be served with ham.

Valued Contributor

On 7/31/2014 luvsbulldogs said:

Hi Chicagoan....... really good seeing you. How are you and your family doing? Sure do miss our chit chats and miss the gang.

You might want to make Italian Potato Salad.......no Mayo in it. Just potatoes, chopped onions, oregano, small pitted black olives, olive oil and a small amount of wine vinegar.

Enjoy your reunion!

Hi Luvs, how are you and hubby? I also miss our chit chats! The twinks will be 4 in August, can you believe it and my oldest grandson is 13 yrs old! I wonder how Lavender is doing also? Your Potato Salads sound delicious, I am a Potato Salad lover!!!!

Contributor

2 packages of soften cream cheese. 2 cans of shoe peg corn. 2 cans of drained diced green chilies. Heat together in microwave oven. Carry in a insulated bag. It should still be warm and it is also good slightly cold....My group loves this....

Valued Contributor

On 7/31/2014 sue-p said:

luvtoshopathome,

I would be interested in having the recipe for pineapple bread pudding.

Please post it! Thanks, sue-p

Hi Sue-p.... How are you doing? I hope all has been good! This recipe might be different than luvtoshopathome, but, I thought I would share. This recipe was posted on "Cooking it YOUR way!" by Diane Wimmer on FB. It was her mom's recipe! I can't wait to try it with ham! Also "Cooking it YOUR way!" is an awesome page on FaceBook.

Scalloped Pineapple... by Diane Wimmer

Dry 8-10 slices of bread till hard, turning it a couple of times. (Mom used white bread, I usually got potato bread or something with a little more substance). Break it into chunks, and then mix with a couple of cans of pineapple chunks (drained), a cup of sugar, and a cup (or more) of melted butter. Moisten with extra butter or a little pineapple juice if dry. Bake at 350 until bubbling.

Mom used 2 cups of sugar and 2 cups of butter.....I cut the sugar in half, but use the butter liberally.

Valued Contributor

On 7/31/2014 gjc57 said:

2 packages of soften cream cheese. 2 cans of shoe peg corn. 2 cans of drained diced green chilies. Heat together in microwave oven. Carry in a insulated bag. It should still be warm and it is also good slightly cold....My group loves this....

Thanks gjc57... I have made this and added Fritios before serving, so good! Thanks again!

Trusted Contributor

On 7/31/2014 Chicagoan said:
On 7/31/2014 luvtoshopathome said: How about an Italian pasta salad, there's no mayo. I've made this for outdoor gatherings. Boil up some pasta, after it's cooked cool it. Then take olives, roasted peppers( you buy in a jar) cut them up, celery, mozzarella or provolone cheese, also cut up, and you can cut up some ham, pepperoni or whatever cold cut you like or the meat can be omitted. I also add marinated artichoke hearts but it's not necessary. Then buy a packet of good seasons dry Italian dressing mix, follow the directions on the packet, I use a light vinegar and use less than is called for and add a pinch of sugar. Mix it into the pasta and let it sit for a couple of hours or overnight. It's really delicious. I also have a great very easy recipe for a pineapple casserole, that is like a thin bread pudding that you cut in square pieces. It is so good if you like pineapple, let me know if you want the recipe. It only has 5 ingredients.

Is it called "Scalloped Pineapple"? I just got a recipe from "Cooking it YOUR way!" on FB, it sounded wonderful to be served with ham.

The woman who gave it to me called it pineapple casserole. I don't know why because it's like a bread pudding using crushed pineapple. I will post the recipe in the next few days. I'm dealing with 2persian cats who have fleas and they have never been outside. Taking them for flea baths this weekend. Sorry I know I shouldn't be talking about my fur babies problems on this forum but I promise to post the recipe when I am finished with their ordeal.
Valued Contributor

go to groups for growlies

Respected Contributor

Hi Chicagoan....... really good seeing you. How are you and your family doing? Sure do miss our chit chats and miss the gang.

You might want to make Italian Potato Salad.......no Mayo in it. Just potatoes, chopped onions, oregano, small pitted black olives, olive oil and a small amount of wine vinegar.

Enjoy your reunion!

Hi Luvs, how are you and hubby? I also miss our chit chats! The twinks will be 4 in August, can you believe it and my oldest grandson is 13 yrs old! I wonder how Lavender is doing also? Your Potato Salads sound delicious, I am a Potato Salad lover!!!!

Hi Robin...... Hubby and I are doing well and trying to enjoy this strange rainy summer weather. We get 5 days of storms and rain and then 2 nice days. Wow, the twins will be 4 soon. Seems like only yesterday that we were looking at pics of them when they were born and I can't believe that your oldest grandson is 13. I know you are enjoying the grandkids and I miss hearing all the great things that you do with them. I too wonder how Lavender is doing and also JP. I too am a potato salad lover!!! Enjoy your reunion!

Valued Contributor

On 8/1/2014 luvsbulldogs said:

Enjoy your reunion!

Hi Robin...... Hubby and I are doing well and trying to enjoy this strange rainy summer weather. We get 5 days of storms and rain and then 2 nice days. Wow, the twins will be 4 soon. Seems like only yesterday that we were looking at pics of them when they were born and I can't believe that your oldest grandson is 13. I know you are enjoying the grandkids and I miss hearing all the great things that you do with them. I too wonder how Lavender is doing and also JP. I too am a potato salad lover!!! Enjoy your reunion!

Glad to hear both you and hubby are well! We had a lot of rain a few weeks ago with a lot of flooding! I also miss JPC!!! Stay in touch!!!