Regular Contributor

Looking for a Cranberry Walnut Bread recipe

About two years ago someone sent me a homemade Cranberry Walnut Bread that was  delicious and I cannot  find a recipe.  The person that made it has passed away and no one seems to have her recipes. 

Does anyone have a recipe for one that is very dense bread, cranberries and nuts?  I have seen many online and none of them look like the one I had. It toasted up beautifully.   I think I'm making myself crazy trying to find this but I'm determined to find it!!  If anyone has a recipe they love I would appreciate your sharing it with all of us!  Thanks in advance

Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for a Cranberry Walnut Bread recipe

1/3 cup orange juice

1 tbsp grated orange zest

2/3 cup buttermilk

6 tbsp melted butter

1 lightly beaten egg

2 cups flour

1 cup sugar

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp baking soda

1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped cranberries

1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts  (I use toasted pecans)

Mix orange juice and zest, buttermilk, butter and egg in small bowl.  Whisk flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in large bowl.  Stir wet ingredients into dry until moistened.  Fold in cranberries and nuts.  Do not overmix.

Pour batter into greased loaf pan.  Bake 20 mins in preheated 375 degree oven, reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake about 45 mins longer.  Cool in pan 10 mins, then cool out of pan on wire rack for 1 hr. before serving. 

Regular Contributor

Thank you Deepwaterdotter!  Will make a grocery run tomorrow and make on Friday! 

Respected Contributor

Hi, @aunt bea.

I'm not sure what type of bread you're looking for, but I'm a New Englander, the home of Ocean Spray, & my family, as well as everyone I knew - always used the recipe on the back of the bag of fresh Ocean Spray cranberries!

** We usually made 2 loaves & used the whole bag of cranberries.

I just 'halve' some of the berries & add a bit more nuts.

Ocean Spray Classic Cranberry Nut Bread

Ingredients:

2 cups flour

1 cup sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 cup orange juice

1 tablespoon grated orange peel

2 tablespoons shortening

1 egg, well beaten

1 1/2 cups Ocean Spray® Fresh or Frozen Cranberries, coarsely chopped 1/2 cup chopped nuts

Directions: Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.

Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a medium mixing bowl.

Stir in orange juice, orange peel, shortening and egg.

Mix until well blended.

Stir in cranberries and nuts.

Spread evenly in loaf pan.

Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool on a rack for 15 minutes.

Remove from pan; cool completely.

Wrap and store overnight. Makes 1 loaf (16 slices).

Muddling through...
Super Contributor

big box membership store make the BEST version: offered during holidays. easy peasy!

Honored Contributor

I used to make breads like this all the time. I'd use the same basic (zucchini) recipe and then change it up by adding in what I wanted ie cranberry nut, date nut, of course zucc nuts, raisins. Well you get idea. They were all great, and made wonderful holiday giveaways.

Regular Contributor

Thank you Sabatini, I will try this one also! 

Regular Contributor

I found one at a local bakery that was not even close to this one.  When I asked at SAMS club they told me they did not have one nor were they going to over the holiday season.  I will check it out again next week and ask someone else.  Thank you for the suggestion KittyKitty

Regular Contributor

I'm a new baker and not adventurous at all!  Trying to substitute with make me crazy!  I'll bet your breads were fabulous and not anything anyone else would bake.  Thank you!