Respected Contributor

Looking for Mashed/pureed Butternut Squash recipe ( not sweetened)

Does anyone have a tried and true way to make mashed or pureed butternut squash? I'm looking for a side dish that doesn't contain any sugar. Can it be made a day ahead and re heated?

TIA

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for Mashed/pureed Butternut Squash recipe ( not sweetened)

I cut my squash up in chunks and roast it with a touch of olive oil and cumin, salt and pepper. When it's tender, I whip it with my immersion blender. If it's too stiff, I add a touch of chicken broth.  And just a tip, if you blend the leftovers with more broth, you have a delicious soup. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

What do you meanby "sugar"? Generally squashes have sugar. It is not much,though.

Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

Does anyone have a tried and true way to make mashed or pureed butternut squash? I'm looking for a side dish that doesn't contain any sugar. Can it be made a day ahead and re heated?

TIA

have never done it, but IF I were to

this is how I would

roast it, with a bit of oil and whatever herbs or spices you want then mash it,

or cut in half then roast,  then scoop out 

Valued Contributor

I steam the peeled butternut chunks & when they're done I mash them up with butter, salt, white pepper & nutmeg.  The masher is a flat round metal circle with holes in it.  My mother-in-law preferred her squash on the coarse side so that's how I've always made it.

I have already made my squash & it's in the freezer in a casserole dish. Probably on Tuesday I will move it into the refrigerator, then on Thanksgiving will put it in the oven & heat till it's hot.

The steamer I use is a double-stacked large aluminum stovetop thing I got in San Francisco's Chinatown years ago, & I just love it!  I only need the single basket for the 4 pounds I made, but if you had a lot to cook the second  basket would be really handy.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for your suggestions! Happy Thanksgiving!🦃

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran