Regular Contributor

Looking for Dream Bar recipe

My grandmother used to make these for us back in the 60's. The base was a shortbread type crust, the center brown, moist, very chewy...dark brown sugar, flaked coconut and chopped walnuts.The icing was lemony with tiny flecks of rind. It was sweet but the layers complimented themselves so well. I rhink orange or lime would be equally awesome.

Here's some photos. Hoping one of our talented bakers/Foodies has one of the heirloom versions and will kindly share from their 'vault'. Thanks in advance!

DreamBarwithlemonicing.jpg

This center looks more gooey that Grandma's. Here's another without nuts:

Dreambarswithlemonfrostingthisversionwithoutnuts.jpg

This has more of the cakey/chewy middle plus coconut, but frosting is not as accurate as first photo which has the definite icing. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Looking for Dream Bar recipe

I hope you find the recipe and share it...they look so good.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KCFoxy  -  Betty Crocker cookbook has one called Coconut Lemon Bars with a shortbread type base layer.  Hope this is it, sorry if not.

Base: 

1/2 c. butter

1/2 c. brown sugar

1 c. sifted flour

Press into 9x13 pan bake for 10 min. at 350.  Let cool before spreading topping layer.

Coconut Lemon Topping:

Beat well:

2 eggs

Stir in:

1 c. brown sugar

2 Tbsp. lemon juice

1 tsp. grated lemon rind

1/2 tsp. salt

Mix in:

1 c. moist shredded coconut

1 c. chopped walnuts

1/2 c. cut up raisins (could omit)

Spread over base layer and bake 25 min. until topping is golden brown.  Cool slightly and then cut into bars.

Super Contributor

I googled dream bars and there are many recipes shown. Not sure if any of them are the one you are looking for.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

This one seems to be true to the original post WW II version. Choice of nuts varies, but the shortcake crust and chewy middle layer are just about spot on. The addition of lemon icing would make it even more delicious and the 3 distinctive layers and textures are fantastic.

Definitely not lemon bars, though the BC spin is closer and less jelled than many I have googled. Filling definitely has eggs, packed brown sugar, baking powder, couple dashes of salt, shredded coconut and finely chopped nuts with either vanilla or lemon extract.

http://leitesculinaria.com/23838/recipes-dream-bars.html

Valued Contributor

That is the one I recall.  My grandma made them but did not put on icing.  They were sweet enough as they were.  I bet allrecipes has many versions of them.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KCFoxy   I searched the recipe swap folder and found this one.  It doesn't have icing, but maybe the rest of it is what you're looking for...   From a poster by the name of  Berta....

Dream Bars

Found this recipe I hadn't made in awhile'

Dream Bars

1/2 c butter softened

1 1/2 cups brown sugar divided

1 1/4 cups flour divided

2 eggs

1 t vanilla

1/2 t baking powder

1/4 t salt

1 1/2/cups shredded coconut

1 cup nuts chopped

Preheat oven at 325 degrees. Cream butter with 1/2 cup brown sugar until fluffy.Blend in 1 cup of flour and spread mixture in a 9x13 pan.Bake for 15 minutes.Beat eggs,add remaining 1 cup brown sugar and vanilla,mix well.Add remaining 1/4 flour,baking powder,salt,coconut, and nuts.Spread over baked layer.return to oven and bake 25 minutes more.Cut into bars while warm.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KatieB Thanks very much for the Recipe Swap Search!  This definitely sounds like the shortbread crust and chewy, coconutty middle layer...sweet enough as it is. The icing is well, the icing on the bars!  Lemon juice, lemon zest, powdered sugar for the topper...the blend of flavors is incredible.  Thanks again to all that have helped! Smiley Very Happy