Super Contributor

Re: Looking For Stuffed Pepper Soup Recipe?

This is new formatting for Katey's posts below:

Katey1261, these soup & stuffed pepper recipes were taken from this forum. I compared the stuffed peppers ingredients with the soup ingredients and added those I liked to the soup. This past summer, I found bell peppers/zucchini/yellow squash combo pkgs in the produce section literally for pennies--- oh, that soup turned out so delicious!!! I love soup ANY time of the year.

Big Mike's Greek Roasted Stuffed Peppers

Everyone has a stuffed pepper recipe. I borrowed the concept of mine from Ellie's Greek-Style Stuffed Peppers. After making it, posting the results getting some feedback from friends and family I modified it and the results were outstanding. The biggest thing I changed was to roast the peppers before stuffing them. I like the peppers to be softer than the original recipe made and I love the extra flavor from the roasting process. I also added lamb to the meat mixture. I mean, hey, this is supposed to be a Greek recipe, right? It doesn't matter if you make red or green peppers, you'll love this recipe.
FunkyHulaGirl

1/2 pound lean ground beef
1/2 pound ground lamb
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 medium zucchini, coarsely grated (about 2 cups)
1 small onion, minced (about 1 cup)
3/4 cup white rice (cooked)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 large red or green bell peppers, halved lengthwise, cores and ribs removed
2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
3/4 cup good marinara sauce
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese

Cut and core the peppers, then place them on a roasting pan open side down and broil them in the oven for 5-10 minutes (until they are scorched a bit and softened). You can do this on the top burners of your stove also, I prefer doing them all at once in the broiler. Remove from broiler and let cool. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl combine the beef, lamb, spinach, zucchini, onion, rice, egg, oregano, salt and a few grinds of pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined. In another bowl combine the stewed tomatoes and marinara sauce and mash with a potato masher until the tomatoes are broken into smaller pieces. Arrange the pepper halves cut side up in a 9 by 13-inch baking dish and fill each pepper half with the meat mixture. Pour the tomato marinara mix over the peppers. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until the meat mixture is completely cooked and the peppers are tender, about 25 minutes longer. Sprinkle with the feta cheese and serve.

FunkyHulaGirl @ qvc recipe swap

Unstuffed Peppers

Brown ground beef, drain fat: 1 lb ground beef

Add to pan & sauté til tender: 1 sm onion, diced small 1 clove garlic, minced

Add to pan: 28oz tomatoes, crushed drain juice (measure juice)* 1 can tomato sauce 1 tsp Worchestershire sauce 1 cup tomato juice from can* 1/2 cup uncooked rice

Add ground beef back to pan. Stir together. Cover with strips of bell peppers (can parboil or nuke if you like the peppers cooked longer. I do.) Cover and cook until liquid is almost all absorbed and rice is tender. Mixture should be moist when rice is done. About 20 -30 mins. Left over tomato juice or water can be added if needed

Zhills @ qvc recipe swap

Stuffed Pepper Soup

I also make a Stuffed Pepper Soup that was posted by SnuggleBunny on QVC forum several years ago. Get out your crockpot. This is a nice recipe to make this time of year since fresh tomatoes are readily available. I tweaked SBs recipe a bit and here it is:

1.5 lb. lean ground beef (prefer 80% chuck)
1- 28 oz. can tomato sauce 1- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes fresh tomatoes diced (just a few, if available)
2 c. diced green peppers (or green & red)
1 c. diced onions 2 cubes beef bouillon
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp. parsley
½ teas. marjoram
½ teas. oregano
½ teas. basil
2 teas. salt
1 teas. pepper
32 oz. beef broth
1 c. instant rice ---- (added after one hour on high)

Brown beef in large pan. Place in crock pot and add remaining ingredients (except rice). Stir everything together. Set crock pot on HIGH and cook for one hour. Add 1 cup rice. Turn down to LOW and cook for another 2 hours. Enjoy … it’s delicious.

Posted on QVC BB originally by Snuggle Bunny and modified here by AnikaBrodie

Crock Pot Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup-- Yield: 8-10 servings

1 lb ground beef 1 large onion, chopped small
4 large bell peppers, I used 2 red, a yellow and a green
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
32 oz beef stock
16 ounces tomato sauce
2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Italian seasoning blend
2 tsp kosher salt, divided
1 tsp black pepper, divided
1/4 - 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3 cups warm cooked rice

Cook and crumble the ground beef in a skillet over medium to medium high heat. Season the meat with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper while it is cooking. Add the onions to the skillet when it is almost browned. When the onions are tender, transfer the mixture to the Crock-Pot and add all the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the rice. Set the temperature to HIGH (for 3-4 hours) or to LOW (for 8+ hours). * When the peppers are tender, place a scoop of rice into each bowl and then ladle soup over it. Stir to combine. Enjoy! *

STOVE-TOP DIRECTIONS: If you prefer to make this on the stove, simply cook the meat and onion in a large pot. Once it has cooked, add all remaining ingredients (EXCEPT the rice) to the pot and simmer on low until the peppers are tender. This should take about an hour.

LOLA @ qvc recipe swap

Stuffed Pepper Soup

2# hamb (Katey, this is my, vabreeze's, comment: In poster's instructions, she said "brown beef"?????-- is 'hamb' lamb or hambone?!) Beebee’s note: I think it’s “hamburger” meat.

28 oz diced T
28 oz T sauce
2C chopped green pepper (2 large)
1C diced onion
1/4C brown sugar
1t pepper
2t salt
2 beef bullion cubes (I used 'better than bullion')
1 lg can water (having mixed my bbthan bullion, I omitted the water)

sliced baby carrots (add at beginning, takes longer to cook) 2C cooked rice (I made it with butter)

Brown beef, drain. Add remaining ingred. bring to boil. reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30-40 minutes.

Posted on QVC BB by mspammie who also indicated:

"found this in one of my books: (have it marked QVC, from 8-11, I note stuff on my
recipes) hmm wonder if one of the books? I have it hand written and I've made it numerous times and it's wonderful!) Have this marked in my cookbook as a "yum"and who in my family liked it etc.

I also noticed I have a Green Pepper Bake Casserole recipe! fall is coming, sounds good to me.!"

Trusted Contributor

On 12/30/2014 Beebee2 said:

This is new formatting for Katey's posts below:

Katey1261, these soup & stuffed pepper recipes were taken from this forum. I compared the stuffed peppers ingredients with the soup ingredients and added those I liked to the soup. This past summer, I found bell peppers/zucchini/yellow squash combo pkgs in the produce section literally for pennies--- oh, that soup turned out so delicious!!! I love soup ANY time of the year.

Big Mike's Greek Roasted Stuffed Peppers

Everyone has a stuffed pepper recipe. I borrowed the concept of mine from Ellie's Greek-Style Stuffed Peppers. After making it, posting the results getting some feedback from friends and family I modified it and the results were outstanding. The biggest thing I changed was to roast the peppers before stuffing them. I like the peppers to be softer than the original recipe made and I love the extra flavor from the roasting process. I also added lamb to the meat mixture. I mean, hey, this is supposed to be a Greek recipe, right? It doesn't matter if you make red or green peppers, you'll love this recipe.
FunkyHulaGirl

1/2 pound lean ground beef
1/2 pound ground lamb
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 medium zucchini, coarsely grated (about 2 cups)
1 small onion, minced (about 1 cup)
3/4 cup white rice (cooked)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 large red or green bell peppers, halved lengthwise, cores and ribs removed
2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
3/4 cup good marinara sauce
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese

Cut and core the peppers, then place them on a roasting pan open side down and broil them in the oven for 5-10 minutes (until they are scorched a bit and softened). You can do this on the top burners of your stove also, I prefer doing them all at once in the broiler. Remove from broiler and let cool. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl combine the beef, lamb, spinach, zucchini, onion, rice, egg, oregano, salt and a few grinds of pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined. In another bowl combine the stewed tomatoes and marinara sauce and mash with a potato masher until the tomatoes are broken into smaller pieces. Arrange the pepper halves cut side up in a 9 by 13-inch baking dish and fill each pepper half with the meat mixture. Pour the tomato marinara mix over the peppers. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until the meat mixture is completely cooked and the peppers are tender, about 25 minutes longer. Sprinkle with the feta cheese and serve.

FunkyHulaGirl @ qvc recipe swap

Unstuffed Peppers

Brown ground beef, drain fat: 1 lb ground beef

Add to pan & sauté til tender: 1 sm onion, diced small 1 clove garlic, minced

Add to pan: 28oz tomatoes, crushed drain juice (measure juice)* 1 can tomato sauce 1 tsp Worchestershire sauce 1 cup tomato juice from can* 1/2 cup uncooked rice

Add ground beef back to pan. Stir together. Cover with strips of bell peppers (can parboil or nuke if you like the peppers cooked longer. I do.) Cover and cook until liquid is almost all absorbed and rice is tender. Mixture should be moist when rice is done. About 20 -30 mins. Left over tomato juice or water can be added if needed

Zhills @ qvc recipe swap

Stuffed Pepper Soup

I also make a Stuffed Pepper Soup that was posted by SnuggleBunny on QVC forum several years ago. Get out your crockpot. This is a nice recipe to make this time of year since fresh tomatoes are readily available. I tweaked SBs recipe a bit and here it is:

1.5 lb. lean ground beef (prefer 80% chuck)
1- 28 oz. can tomato sauce 1- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes fresh tomatoes diced (just a few, if available)
2 c. diced green peppers (or green & red)
1 c. diced onions 2 cubes beef bouillon
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp. parsley
½ teas. marjoram
½ teas. oregano
½ teas. basil
2 teas. salt
1 teas. pepper
32 oz. beef broth
1 c. instant rice ---- (added after one hour on high)

Brown beef in large pan. Place in crock pot and add remaining ingredients (except rice). Stir everything together. Set crock pot on HIGH and cook for one hour. Add 1 cup rice. Turn down to LOW and cook for another 2 hours. Enjoy … it’s delicious.

Posted on QVC BB originally by Snuggle Bunny and modified here by AnikaBrodie

Crock Pot Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup-- Yield: 8-10 servings

1 lb ground beef 1 large onion, chopped small
4 large bell peppers, I used 2 red, a yellow and a green
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
32 oz beef stock
16 ounces tomato sauce
2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Italian seasoning blend
2 tsp kosher salt, divided
1 tsp black pepper, divided
1/4 - 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3 cups warm cooked rice

Cook and crumble the ground beef in a skillet over medium to medium high heat. Season the meat with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper while it is cooking. Add the onions to the skillet when it is almost browned. When the onions are tender, transfer the mixture to the Crock-Pot and add all the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the rice. Set the temperature to HIGH (for 3-4 hours) or to LOW (for 8+ hours). * When the peppers are tender, place a scoop of rice into each bowl and then ladle soup over it. Stir to combine. Enjoy! *

STOVE-TOP DIRECTIONS: If you prefer to make this on the stove, simply cook the meat and onion in a large pot. Once it has cooked, add all remaining ingredients (EXCEPT the rice) to the pot and simmer on low until the peppers are tender. This should take about an hour.

LOLA @ qvc recipe swap

Stuffed Pepper Soup

2# hamb (Katey, this is my, vabreeze's, comment: In poster's instructions, she said "brown beef"?????-- is 'hamb' lamb or hambone?!) Beebee’s note: I think it’s “hamburger” meat.

28 oz diced T
28 oz T sauce
2C chopped green pepper (2 large)
1C diced onion
1/4C brown sugar
1t pepper
2t salt
2 beef bullion cubes (I used 'better than bullion')
1 lg can water (having mixed my bbthan bullion, I omitted the water)

sliced baby carrots (add at beginning, takes longer to cook) 2C cooked rice (I made it with butter)

Brown beef, drain. Add remaining ingred. bring to boil. reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30-40 minutes.

Posted on QVC BB by mspammie who also indicated:

"found this in one of my books: (have it marked QVC, from 8-11, I note stuff on my
recipes) hmm wonder if one of the books? I have it hand written and I've made it numerous times and it's wonderful!) Have this marked in my cookbook as a "yum"and who in my family liked it etc.

I also noticed I have a Green Pepper Bake Casserole recipe! fall is coming, sounds good to me.!"

What was the final Recipe? Also do share Recipe for the Casserole. Thanks Beebee.

Honored Contributor

Just ran across this in a book I was looking in.

Stuffed Green Pepper Soup

1/2 lb. ground beef

2 C. Green pepper, chopped

1 C. onion, chopped

14- oz. can beef broth

14 & 1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes

10 3/4 oz. can tomato soup

1/4 tsp. pepper

1 1/2 C. cooked rice, warmed

Brown beef in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; drain. Add green pepper and onion; cook about 8 minutes, until vegetables are just tender. Stir in broth, undrained tomatoes, soup and pepper; bring to a bold. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 45 minutes stirring occasionally. To serve, divide cooked rice among 6 soup bowls; ladle soup over rice. Makes 6 servings.

Trusted Contributor

On 12/20/2014 doglover3 said:

here are ones I got from the ladies on this board.

Stuffed Pepper Soup ~ Angel25

2 Lbs ground beef
1 Green pepper chopped
1 29 oz tomato sauce
1 29 oz diced tomatoes
2 packets low sodium beef bouillon granules
1/4 Cup of packed brown sugar
2 Tsp soy sauce
2 Cups cooked white rice
In a dutch oven brown beef over medium heat, drain off all fat. Add pepper to
the ground beef and sauté for 3 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes with juice, bouillon cubes, brown sugar, salt and soy sauce. Reduce heat to
low cover and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes. Stir in rice until heated through.

Thank you doglover3 I appreciate you sharing this recipe.

Trusted Contributor

I also thank you all for sharing and posting recipes as well as advice.

Trusted Contributor

I'm attempting a recipe for this soup. I will let you know how it turns out.