Respected Contributor

Long-time favorite chocolate cake

[ Edited ]

Oldie but goodie  and very simple recipe for cake made with  Hershey's Cocoa and vegetable oil instead of butter or shortening.  Was reminded of it after another recent post mentioned Crisco for baking.. 

This oil-based cake was routinely requested by sons for their birthdays.

"Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake is posted at Hersheyland dot com 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Long-time favorite chocolate cake

This is the recipe my gram used and I so yearn for a slice of this cake. I'm diabetic and cannot have it.....but would love to dive into it!

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Respected Contributor

We especially liked vanilla butter cream frosting for this cake.  

Chocolate frosting seemed a bit too much chocolate for one cake.

Respected Contributor

@We rescue cats wrote:

This is the recipe my gram used and I so yearn for a slice of this cake. I'm diabetic and cannot have it.....but would love to dive into it!

@We rescue cats wrote:

Hmmm I'm diabetic type 2 and I will occasionally have a treat and i just eat no carb that day etc.like veggies and cheese only etc. And adjust meds. 

Honored Contributor

This recipe is a classic.  I like to replace the water with coffee.  I like it best with a vanilla buttercream icing.

Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Oldie but goodie  and very simple recipe for cake made with  Hershey's Cocoa and vegetable oil instead of butter or shortening.  Was reminded of it after another recent post mentioned Crisco for baking.. 

This oil-based cake was routinely requested by sons for their birthdays.

"Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake is posted at Hersheyland dot com 

To go w/ the Perfect Chocolate cake - and it is fabulous - we often use a variation of the perfect chocolate icing. Which is also wonderful on brownies. I have been making this two recipes for over 45 years. I always thought it was my friend's secret recipe ... then I saw the recipe on the back of the cocoa cannister. LOL. 

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter or margarine (1 stick)
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 oz chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions
Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately, add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
Stir in vanilla.
Stir in chopped walnuts
Add small amount additional milk, if needed.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

This recipe is a classic.  I like to replace the water with coffee.  I like it best with a vanilla buttercream icing.

I love this idea of using coffee and can't believe I never thought of it myself.  I will be doing this the next time I make this chocolate cake (which may be sooner than I thought).  Haha

Trusted Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:
@We rescue cats wrote:

Hmmm I'm diabetic type 2 and I will occasionally have a treat and i just eat no carb that day etc.like veggies and cheese only etc. And adjust meds. 

Be glad that you can do that, sadly I cannot. 

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Double Chocolate Coca-Cola Cake...... my mother made them all the time....too sweet for my taste now, but as a kid....loved it!.... also with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

Trusted Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I love this idea of using coffee and can't believe I never thought of it myself.  I will be doing this the next time I make this chocolate cake (which may be sooner than I thought).  Haha

I add instant espresso coffee to anything i make that is chocolate. It really enhances the flavor. 

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag