Esteemed Contributor

Re: Loaded Baked Potato Casserole (with apology and redemption)

@IamMrsG

Alright, first off, I don't think you need to apologize for anything-you did what you did to help your husband in his quest to stay healthy!   All that you put into your dishes still boggles my little peanut brain!   Now that said and please be aware that I  HAVE NOT MADE this recipe and certainly am no expert at low carb cooking (yet!).  Would the basic premise of the dish be compromised if you made a recipe of the "faux" mashed cauliflower  potatoes and used it in place of real potatoes?   I have to admit, I was extremely surprised and pleased the first time I tried them.  The key is getting that cauliflower as dry as possible after cooking it before you mash them otherwise I have read they may get watery but I am thinking that while the texture will change some, the basic loaded baked potato taste would still be present!   Since you are the one who has made this dish, you are the perfect person to give your input as to this little "change" and how you think it will turn out.  And if your DH isn't looking, I may have to steal that leftover frittata!  Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mustang66lady  I wish I could intelligently answer your question about substituting cauliflower for the potatoes in this dish.  With DH's reduced carbohydrate diet, I have read about that substitution in other recipes, but have not tried it because I have yet to be pleased with other so-called 'healthful tweakings.'  They have all left me yearning for flavor.  I imagine you are right that such a switch would considerably affect the texture.

My experience in trying to reduce carbohydrates has taught me it's as much--maybe moreso--about portion control than ingredients.  DH, a man who loves to eat, struggles with that, hence my failed attempt at severely cutting back on the potatoes in the casserole. 

BTW, the frittata made with the leftovers was a hit.  He ate the last piece the next morning for breakfast. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
QVC Customer Care

@IamMrsG

This sounds delish.  I am copying it to make on one of my days off. Yummmm! LOL!  

I made loaded mashed potatoes this past weekend only because my potatoes were too small to do twice baked potatoes.

Thanks for the great recipe.  Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

@IamMrsG

Just an update from the other day.  I made this last night.  My daughter loved it!  So did I - and thanks to you, I had to do an additional hour of cardio Smiley Very Happy  Thanks so much for posting the recipe!  It's definately a keeper  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Paulette-QVC  @Qshopper1991   You're welcome!  

It's good to hear you and your daughter liked the dish, Me24.  Thank you for coming back to let me know.   RE:  Cardio  Don't they make pills for that?  Woman Wink

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Trusted Contributor

@IamMrsG

LOL....I wish there was a pill for that! 

By the way, I will be making this casserole tomorrow for a dinner party I will be attending.  They wanted a good side dish and I immediately thought of this one!  Thanks again for a great recipe!  Smiley Happy