Respected Contributor

Loaded Baked Potato Casserole (with apology and redemption)

“No matter what happens in the kitchen, never apologize,” is one of Julia Child’s kitchen rules.  Sorry, Julia, I apologized. I made a clunker of a meal the other night.

Mind you, Loaded Baked Potato Casserole is not a bad recipe. On a 1-5 scale, we previously rated it 3.5☆s. The problem the other night was with my trying to stay within DH’s reduced carbohydrate diet while still making a Loaded Potato Casserole.  Wouldn’t you think I’d know better?  Woman Embarassed  I simply didn’t use enough potato for the sake of the dish.  So, I apologized for the disappointing meal.

Half of it was left over. So, for dinner tonight, I chopped up the remaining casserole and incorporated it into a frittata, using a half dozen eggs and 1/4 cup milk. Most dishes are better the second day, of course, but the frittata redeemed me.  DH ate two large pieces and commented about saving the last piece for lunch tomorrow.

Here is the original recipe, and, honest, it is a decent, throw-together, week night meal – if you use enough potatoes.

One more apology? I don’t remember the source of the recipe.

Loaded Baked Potato Casserole
4 cups diced potatoes
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2-3 cups shredded chicken
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
4 green onions, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons melted butter
Sour cream to serve

Preheat oven to 350º. Grease a 9" square baking dish.

In a microwave safe bowl, place diced potatoes and olive oil. Stir until potatoes are coated with oil. Microwave for 10 minutes, stirring halfway.

Layer the half of the potatoes on the bottom of the dish, then top with half of the chicken. Season the chicken with ½ teaspoon garlic seasoning, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper.

Sprinkle ¾ cup cheese on top, half of the bacon, then add half of the green onions. Add another layer of potatoes, chicken sprinkled with remaining seasoning, cheese, bacon, and green onions.

Pour melted butter evenly over the top. Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through and potatoes are tender.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream to complete the Loaded Baked Potato Casserole theme.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Re: Loaded Baked Potato Casserole (with apology and redemption)

It's sounds delicious crammed with a bunch of really good stuff.  Maybe I'll try it though I don't cook much these days.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

That sounds yummy. I'm going to bookmark your recipe. Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting - sometimes I have leftover rotisserie chicken to use up.  I once tried rotisserie lasagna and would not try that again.

Honored Contributor

Wow, talk about winner, winner chicken dinner @IamMrsG this looks delicious and (for me) scalable . . . thank you my friend.  I was just looking at an add from a grocery store by me that will have their chicken on sale so this is now on my radar . . . yum!

Valued Contributor

This sounds delicious! I can not wait to try it.

Thank you very much, @IamMrsG!

LoLa

Respected Contributor

@fff11 @AuntG @momtochloe  @LoLa

Y'all are welcome!  Woman Happy  Bon appétit.  

Valued Contributor

I would like to eat this page.

Respected Contributor

@A60_Chevy   laughing lady.gif

Trusted Contributor

@IamMrsG

I saw this recipe yesterday - I'm making it tonight for my daughter.  It really sounds good Smiley Happy

I'll probably have a forkful (although I would love to dig in!).  But it would take at least 5 hours of cardio to burn off a bowlful Smiley Very Happy