Honored Contributor

Re: LoLa's Strawberry Sour Cream Cake

@sfnative wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@sfnative I'm going to try this and substitute yogurt for sour cream.  I'll put it in slowly because it may thicken the batter a little differently!

@Sooner 

As many times as I've made this, I've never tried yogurt, so on my trip to the market tomorrow, will pick up Greek yogurt and give it a try.  I've already got some half and half for another recipe, so can add a tic of that, if the batter thickens up too much.

@sfnative Well I am SO excited to hear how it comes out!  It might be great!  I always have yogurt in the fridge but almost never sour cream and we buy a lot of strawberries!  I have my fingers crossed for you and sending good vibes your way!  Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@sfnative I'm going to try this and substitute yogurt for sour cream.  I'll put it in slowly because it may thicken the batter a little differently!

@Sooner 

As many times as I've made this, I've never tried yogurt, so on my trip to the market tomorrow, will pick up Greek yogurt and give it a try.  I've already got some half and half for another recipe, so can add a tic of that, if the batter thickens up too much.

@sfnative Well I am SO excited to hear how it comes out!  It might be great!  I always have yogurt in the fridge but almost never sour cream and we buy a lot of strawberries!  I have my fingers crossed for you and sending good vibes your way!  Woman Very Happy

@Sooner 

I'm going to try to remember to take a photo of the cake before I cut it in half a drive half over to my daughter.  They're just getting back from Cabo tonight, so figure they need something sweet.  LOL!  Will post photo tomorrow some time.  See you then!  XXX

Honored Contributor

Looks yummy!  I was just thinking of cream cheese frosting!

Super Contributor

00418669-D2CF-419B-AD44-63A34545DACC.jpeg4FE269BC-FEAD-44B4-9713-566D19FEB944.jpeg

Super Contributor

I made this! Delicious! Thank you for the recipe.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative 

Made it for a party Saturday, it was wonderful!

Only crumbs left.

Thank You For Sharing!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@sfnative Did you try the yogurt?  LOL!! We are having MORE company this weekend and I NEED to know!!!

Thanks to everyone for the photos!

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@sfnative Did you try the yogurt?  LOL!! We are having MORE company this weekend and I NEED to know!!!

Thanks to everyone for the photos!

@Sooner 

Hi Sooner,

Oh, brother.  I'm so late getting back to you because I hit yet another log-on brick wall.  I'm so sick of this occurring.  It never happened until they totally re-did the forum pages - remember that?  Now I get locked out maybe 2-3 times a year.  There's no figuring it out - Period.

Anyway, made LoLa's cake with yogurt.  Will never do that again!  My cake tastes like yogurt.  I didn't want a yogurt cake and, frankly, did not expect the yogurt to take over.  Next time I'm back to the sour cream for sure.  Another thing which occurred was that I lost 1/3 of the volume of the cake.  Boo!  So...You'll not see a photo of it here and I'd had gotten out my prettiest cake stand for you and all.  LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner 

@Drythe 

@Frau K 

@ECBG 

@deepwaterdotter 

Hi Everyone,

Have had log-on issues, hence I'm late getting back to you.

Well, I tried yogurt and my cake was just awful.  I've made aLola's original version many times without issue.  However, my this time my cake tasted like yogurt: it overrode the lemon.  Plus, I lost 1/3 of the volume of my cake.  .

I'll be going back to sour cream for sure.

A tip if you used homegrown strawberries and they ended up mushed or not much of a presence: this has happened to me, so this time I went to Whole Foods and purchased strawberries from them.  MUCH better in this cake.  Nice presence and not mush.

Will make another cake soon, as mine, with the yogurt, kind of turned out kinda like rubber.  Sooooo bad!  LOL!  (And I used to own a bakery...)

Honored Contributor

@sfnative About 10 years ago I made a 3 tier white cake and put cream cheese icing then layered sliced strawberries between each of the 3 layers.  On top I put real whipped cream with whole strawberries and butter cream frosting frosting on the side.  Best cake I ever made.  

The idea came from the side of a cake flour box.

Amazing to look at as well!  Everyone thought I bought it!Smiley Happy