Esteemed Contributor

If anyone is looking for a new crowd pleaser.

A little involved, but boy, are these good!

Yes, all that light cream!

I simply made extra of the topping.

Lighthouse Inn Potatoes

2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1 cup)

1 cup panko bread crumbs

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 6 tablespoons cut into 6 pieces

Salt and pepper

2½ pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks

3 cups light cream, divided (may substitute heavy cream but not half-and-half, which tends to break)

1/8 teaspoon baking soda (for stability and silkiness)

oven rack to the middle position  - 375 degrees.

Combine Parmesan, panko, 4 tbsp melted butter and ¼ tsp salt. Set aside.

In a large saucepan, combine the potato chunks, 2½ cups light cream, 1/8 teaspoon baking soda, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.

Bring this mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. The potatoes will want to stick, so stir them frequently. Reduce the heat to low and cook at a bare simmer, still stirring often, until a paring knife slides easily into several potato chunks without the potatoes crumbling apart, 20 to 25 minutes.

As soon as the biggest chunks yield easily to the knife, get them off the heat and stir in the remaining ½ cup of cream and the remaining 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter. Keep stirring until the butter has melted, about 1 minute.

Pour the mixture into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. (don’t butter dish)

If you're making the potatoes ahead, proceed below. If you are cooking them immediately, sprinkle the Parmesan-panko mixture evenly over the top. Bake, uncovered, until the potatoes are bubbling and the crumb topping is nicely browned, around 15-20 minutes. Let the potatoes cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.

To make ahead and bake later: After the potato mixture has been transferred to the baking dish, let it cool completely, then cover the dish with aluminum foil and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. When you're ready, before applying the Parmesan-panko topping, bake the potatoes at 375 degrees, covered, until they're heated through, about 35 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven and apply the topping evenly. Bake again, now uncovered, for another 15-20 minutes until the top is nicely browned.

Esteemed Contributor

I saw this episode on Cook's Country or ATK, don't know which one, but I thought they looked very good.  Lots of calories, but good Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Patriot3 

That's where I saw it! I never would have thought to cook potatoes in cream like that.

But it was either that, or my mashed, which I make with heavy cream and of course, butter!

(Good thing I only eat like this once or twice a year!) Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Lighthouse Inn Potatoes

[ Edited ]

The other day I tried a recipe. The beginning of the recipe started like this -

1. Using a knife or mandolin cut the potatoes into slices ⅛-inch (3 mm) thick.
  2. On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, sprinkle half of the Parmesan cheese and spread until it is evenly covering the parchment paper.
  3. Place the potatoes over the parmesan so each potato is overlapping the previous potato both vertically and horizontally. Continue until the entire pan is filled with potatoes.
  4. Sprinkle to rest of the Parmesan evenly over the potatoes. Season with 1 teaspoon of salt. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden and the potatoes are flexible and slightly crispy.

The rest of the recipe was onion, ground beef, tomato, spinach, ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese.

The potatoes were so tasty, I thought about just baking the potatoes. But I think I will try the recipe that you posted.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa 

This recipe sounded so good that it sent me on a Google search for a photo of it.  I hope you don't mind me adding my 2⍧ and posting the pic.

Thank you for posting this delicious sounding recipe.

Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 7.47.01 AM.png

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

WoW . These look delicious!Thanks !!

cathy from ma