Trusted Contributor

Re: Lightened Up King Cake for Mardi Gras

Wow, I am so shocked to hear about how awful the original cake is.  I must have tried something really special made by a friend, which is the only king cake that I ever had.  She said is was a long time family recipe and everyone always insisted she make it.  Her's was essentially a delectable brioche like roll with a rich pastry cream in the middle.  SO light, airy, moist and absolutely delicious!

Honored Contributor

Looked at the recipe. There's a lot of sugar in that cake,no matter how light it is.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

NJ, there was a time when I used to make Challa on a weekly basis, so the New Orleans version  of King Cake was pretty easy.

Once again, there are probably different recipes depending on region, etc. I don't think that New Orleans can lay claim to any specific recipe because it was a melting pot.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

Looked at the recipe. There's a lot of sugar in that cake,no matter how light it is.

@Group 5 minus 1

If you're talking about the cup of powdered sugar, it's not in the cake, it's in the added recipe for glaze, which you do not have to make.

Honored Contributor

WARNING:

DD made the cake but used fat-free cream cheese which clumped.  Pretty sure I remember that happening once when I used it, also.