Honored Contributor

Light Brown Sugar -vs- Dark Brown Sugar

Ok my recipe friends, I just noticed in a weekly ad that a store by me has dark brown sugar.  I am not a baker so to be honest it could have been there hiding in plain sight this whole time but I do use brown sugar a lot in beans and on pork chops and chicken.  My question is, is there a huge difference between the flavors of the two?  Is the dark brown sugar flavor more enhanced/intense?  To be honest, I don't want to have both in the house as it's just me and it takes me a while to blow through a bag of brown sugar but am wondering if I should switch to the dark brown sugar.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance for your help!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Light Brown Sugar -vs- Dark Brown Sugar

I always buy dark.  It has more molasses in it, so a bit deeper flavor.  I only use it in beans, on oatmeal and in one of my cookie recipes, and the dark works fine.

Esteemed Contributor

Dark only for me.  Light is a wimpy deal.

My dad loves buttered toast with a heap of dark on top.  I know, I know, but he turns 97 this month, so it must do something good.  Still in his 34" waist jeans.

Honored Contributor

As far as I m concerned, light and dark brown sugars are interchangable.  The flavor of the dark may be stronger but if it's too strong, I'd just use half of what the recipe calls for and substitute white sugar for the rest.  For me, it's not a big deal.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@momtochloe  Dark for me too!  It has better, richer flavor than the light.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe: I bake on a regular basis and always use light brown sugar. Although I do keep a bag of dark brown sugar just in case there's a recipe that specifically calls for it.

But, to answer your question, there is only a slight difference between the two. The difference: dark brown sugar contains more molasses, giving it a slightly stronger flavor. If you don't have dark (or light brown) on hand, either will do. Hope that answers your question. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

Ok my recipe friends, I just noticed in a weekly ad that a store by me has dark brown sugar.  I am not a baker so to be honest it could have been there hiding in plain sight this whole time but I do use brown sugar a lot in beans and on pork chops and chicken.  My question is, is there a huge difference between the flavors of the two?  Is the dark brown sugar flavor more enhanced/intense?  To be honest, I don't want to have both in the house as it's just me and it takes me a while to blow through a bag of brown sugar but am wondering if I should switch to the dark brown sugar.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance for your help.

I am a baker, and have both light and dark. It is usually best to use the ingredients listed in a recipe, especially for baking.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Diva on The Q 

@mom2four0418 

@ciao_bella 

@Kachina624 

@Still Raining 

@alicedee 

Well good golly Miss Molly how fabulous are all you ladies?  So quick to assist and yes this was exactly what I was looking for.  Based on this, I think next time around I will invest in a bag of the darker brown sugar as I love me some caramelizing that the molasses would bring.

Wow, thanks again everybody you really made my Sunday!  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

I use Dark Brown Sugar .... I never even bought Light Brown Sugar ever!!!!

Valued Contributor

idk if it's just my area, but dark brown sugar is so hard to find.  When I do find it- it's usually just the store brand. I've always bought Dominos brand but it's not carried at my store in dark brown.