Respected Contributor

Re: Light Brown Sugar -vs- Dark Brown Sugar

@momtochloe 

I never bake anything at all, but do keep  both light and dark brown sugar  in their own Lock N Lock containers.  They're stored out of the way on the top shelf inside the fridge door. 

A year or so after purchase, they have always still seemed good to use.  The "use by" or "sell by" date on the box helps me decide when to toss.

I've also frozen the sugars at times in the past..If they get hard, I just bang the plastic bag of sugar on a hard surface and loosen what I need.

It's wasteful  to keep both types around when  I only use slight amounts on roasted squash and a few other select items, but I like to know it's there and it does stay good for a long time.

Respected Contributor

Re: Light Brown Sugar -vs- Dark Brown Sugar

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe   All the respondents are correct.  Plus, you can actually make your own brown sugar.  Ratio is 1 cup granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon unsulphured molasses for light; 2 tablespoons for dark.

Just place sugar in a bowl, add the molasses and stir/rub into the sugar until it is a uniform color.

You can also make your own powdered/confectioner's sugar.  Place desired amount of granulated sugar in a blender with a touch of cornstarch and rev up to high speed until it is a powdery consistency.  If you have a plastic blender container it can "scar" the jar, but I do it all the time--doesn't  bother me.  

I stock up on the 4 pound size bags of confectioner's sugar when they are on sale and a big jar of molasses and I'm "good to go" when the baking urge hits.