Esteemed Contributor
I am so glad you liked it! I am having the last bowl today.
Trusted Contributor
On 1/4/2014 digo said: Have you ever made a soup that was well-salted and full of flavorful components, but tasted a little...flat? There's an easy fix you might be overlooking.Just add acid! A small amount of an acidic ingredient like lemon juice added at the end of cooking brightens flavors, especially in long-simmered bean soups or rich meat-based soups. Start with a little bit of acid, taste and adjust, until your soup tastes balanced and bright. It's amazing how a dull soup can come to life with a bit of vinegar or lime juice. Here are a few acidic ingredients you can use: • Lemon or lime juice: Start with a teaspoon or two and add more as desired. • Vinegar: Add half a teaspoon (or more) of your favorite vinegar. • Tomatoes: Fresh or canned tomatoes can be finely chopped and added as a garnish at the end of cooking, or left in chunks and cooked in the soup. • Pickles: It might sound strange, but one of my favorite ways to eat lentil soup is garnished with a big spoonful of sauerkraut. Or how about pickled red onions on a black bean soup? • Crème fraîche, yogurt or sour cream: A small dollop on a serving of soup looks pretty and adds a refreshing tang.

Did not know that--thanks for the info!

Your lentil soup recipe looks great--can you freeze it? It looks like it make a lot.

I like to puree my lentil soup with an immersion blender, so that would be my change this recipe.
Oh, and I love to add cumin to lentil soup, but I am a bit of a cumin freak {#emotions_dlg.blink}

We love lentil soup, but I have never added the bell pepper or the vinegar, so I will definitely be trying this recipe. Thank you so much for sharing!

Esteemed Contributor
Hi Vamp. Not sure about freezing, maybe someone else will know that answer. I hope if you try it you like it. Thanks.
Respected Contributor
On 1/6/2014 digo said: Hi Vamp. Not sure about freezing, maybe someone else will know that answer. I hope if you try it you like it. Thanks.

I freeze lentil & other soups all the time. Great easy defrost mealSmiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor
Skylands do you freeze in individual servings?
Honored Contributor

I live off lentil soup!

I add portabella mushrooms for *meat* (usually use baby bellas).

I am a cumin freak too!

Respected Contributor
On 1/7/2014 digo said: Skylands do you freeze in individual servings?

No I freeze in large tupperware bowl. You could freeze individual sizes.

Respected Contributor

@godi

I just made your lentil soup posted here in 2014.   If you are still on the boards, I just want to say thanks.  It is soooooo good.   I added browned Italian sweet sauage chunks and used Greek spices.  I'm on my second cup.   Yum!!!!   DH had two cups too.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lentil Soup

[ Edited ]

@BridgegalBridgegal so glad you liked the soup. Thanks for letting me know. 

Super Contributor

I just made what's pratically this same recipe earlier in the week. Got the recipe from AllRecipes and made half, substituting chicken broth for water: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/13978/lentil-soup/