Honored Contributor

🍋 Lemon Blueberry Bread 🍋

I tried this recipe today, I had a sack of lemons and blueberries and figured why not . I turned out fine and it is very lemony.

1 1/2 cups of flour

1 teasp. Baking powder

1/2 teasp. Salt

1/3 cup melted butter , cooled

1 cup sugar

3 Tbs. Lemon juice

2 Large room temp eggs

1/2 cup milk

1 cup blueberries

2 Tbs. Grated lemon peel

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, along with the milk.

Then add the berries, lemon peel, and nuts.

Bake at 350 for an hour. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Re: 🍋 Lemon Blueberry Bread 🍋

@QVCkitty1 

I love blueberry lemon loaf cake or muffins. Mmmm. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

I use the recipe from Once Upon A Chef - Jenn Segal usually when we have fresh local blueberries. (I sometimes top w/ creamcheese icing). I've noticed COSTCO is carrying fresh blueberries all the time, so I might make a batch in Feb or March. We are doing a no dessert January at my house. Hubby's idea ... so drat, I'm stuck too. LOL.

Image below is from the Once Upon a Chef site. Great recipe site.

Lemon blueberry cake.PNG

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 

I love blueberry lemon loaf cake or muffins. Mmmm. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

I use the recipe from Once Upon A Chef - Jenn Segal usually when we have fresh local blueberries. (I sometimes top w/ creamcheese icing). I've noticed COSTCO is carrying fresh blueberries all the time, so I might make a batch in Feb or March. We are doing a no dessert January at my house. Hubby's idea ... so drat, I'm stuck too. LOL.

Image below is from the Once Upon a Chef site. Great recipe site.

Lemon blueberry cake.PNG

@kate2357 , Thanks I'm always happy to learn of new recipe sites.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QVCkitty1 

Yum!!! That looks really good.

I've always made blueberry bread or muffins. Never have made lemon blueberry. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I may have to try it especially since you say it's really lemony. YUM. I used to eat lemons with salt when I was a kid in Hawaii when lemons were .01¢ each. LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

QVCkitty11   Yum. I'll be over in a little while with a selection of teas.  

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

@luvzchiz wrote:

@QVCkitty1   Yum. I'll be over. In a little while with a selection of teas.  

@luvzchiz , Sounds good ! 😺

Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This thread reminds me of my mother's recipe for Lemon-Blueberry Cake.  The Lemon-Cream Cheese Frosting is so tasty:

1 cup softened butter

1 3/4 cups sugar

1 tbsp lemon zest

4 eggs

2 tsp vanilla

2 1/2 cups flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup buttermilk

1/2 cup lemon juice

2 cups blueberries tossed in bowl with 2 tbsp flour

Frosting:

8 oz softened cream cheese

1/2 cup softened butter

4 1/2 cups powdered sugar

2 tsp lemon zest

1 tbsp lemon juice

Beat butter, sugar, and lemon zest in big bowl with electric mixer until fluffy.  Beat in eggs and vanilla. 

In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and soda, and salt.  Stir into butter/sugar mixture until some streaks of flour still exist.  Stir in buttermilk and lemon juice to just combine.  Fold blueberry/flour mixture into batter until just combined.

Spread batter in greased 9X13" cake pan and bake at 350 degrees until toothpick comes out clean, 25-35 minutes.

Frosting:  Whip cream cheese and butter in bowl with electric mixer until fluffy.  Slowly mix in powdered sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice, then beat until creamy.

Frost cooled cake and store in refrigerator.  

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter 

Ohhhh, lemon cream cheese icing sounds wonderful. I am going to try that next time. Thank you so much for sharing.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

These icings sound yummy, and I might try them in the future. Sometimes I like to have a bread that isn't that sweet and this recipe fulfills that wish. 

Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Lemons and blueberries just happen to be on tomorrow's shopping list. I've got to make this. What's really funny is that I was all set to order some lemon loaves from Jimmy The Baker I saw presented a few moments ago.