Trusted Contributor

Le Creuset Baking: Oil or butter vessel before putting batter in or not??

Bought yesterdays's TSV -- please give me your opinion: should I butter or oil the Buffet Casserole before putting batter (corn bread, brownies, whatever) in it to bake in the oven?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP & experience!

-Solar1 Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Re: Le Creuset Baking: Oil or butter vessel before putting batter in or not??

Yes, I would use oil and heat it before cooking cornbread and would follow instructions of recipe for peparing pan for  brownies.

Trusted Contributor

@gtxThanks! Do you think that just coating the Le Creuset with cool butter before adding brownie batter would be okay, but not with corn bread batter? Happy cooking, and thank you!

Valued Contributor

For brownies: Coat pan with room temperature butter and sprnkle with flour before adding batter.

For cornbread I add a tablespoon or more of cooking oil (I use corn oil) to pan and heat in the oven before adding cornbread batter..

Esteemed Contributor

@gtx wrote:

For brownies: Coat pan with room temperature butter and sprnkle with flour before adding batter.

For cornbread I add a tablespoon or more of cooking oil (I use corn oil) to pan and heat in the oven before adding cornbread batter..

@Solar Is My Name, instead of sprinkling with flour, I always sprinkle with the mix - it blends in and there's no whiteness if you're baking something dark.