• horseradish 

• sour cream

• dill

• pomegranate

• hard-boiled egg

• capers

• parsley

Directions

1. Step 1In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
    2. Step 2In a food processor fitted with a large grating disk (or on large holes of box grater), grate potatoes and onions. Add to bowl with eggs and toss to combine. Stir in matzo meal.
    3. Step 3Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet on medium. Gently drop 5 large spoonfuls potato mixture (about 1/4 cup each) into the skillet. Flatten to create even pancakes and cook until browned and crips, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a wire rack or paper-towel-lined plate.
    4. Step 4Repeat with remaining potato mixture, adding more oil to the skillet as necessary. (When near the end of the mixture, strain and discard any liquid.)
    5. Step 5Serve warm, with toppings as desired.
    6. Photos - Clockwise from top left: beets, goat cheese, and lemon zest; green apple, scallions, and pepper; sautéed apple and thyme; red onions and whole-grain mustard; horseradish, sour cream, dill, and pomegranate; hard-boiled egg, capers, and parsley.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

Chi, these sound great, my DH makes them from scratch, thanks for sharing. 

Honored Contributor

Never thought to add matzo meal, does it give them a creamier texture?  I've always eaten them on the crispier side.

Esteemed Contributor

If you're interested in the original source of recipe, it's from Oprah Daily. Had a nice recipe for an egg dish as well as a lemon bundt cake.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Never thought to add matzo meal, does it give them a creamier texture?  I've always eaten them on the crispier side.

@deepwaterdotter - I make them the way my Mom did - no matzo meal. Not sure how the 2 different methods compare as a finished product 

"Both latkes and pancakes use potatoes and eggs as the main ingredients. Latkes, however, also include baking powder, matzo meal, and even milk sometimes. Potato pancakes usually do not include these ingredients. Potato pancakes can be made from raw and cooked mashed potatoes.'

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Chi, these sound great, my DH makes them from scratch, thanks for sharing. 

@Shelbelle  - does your DH include matzo meal?

I love the variety of suggested toppings. We usually just have applesauce and sour cream

Honored Contributor

Looks Yummy!!!