Honored Contributor

Last Minute Southern NY Day Dinner, beckyb Thank You

[ Edited ]

Especially for  

So many on the boards talked about having a traditional Southern-type dinner for NY day, I decided at the last minute to duplicate what I could.

We went to the store early NY day and bought a pork tenderloin and delicious biscuits.  My daughter discovered GLORY southern food in cans.  We always go with fresh, but there was no time to try to copy the greens, so we got that and a couple of cans of GLORY candied yams, which we later doctored up and added tiny marshmallows.

We had such fun!  I want to thank @beckyb1012  for the story about her mother's yams and for giving me the idea Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Our Last Minute Southern New Year's Day Dinner, Thanks beckyb

Image result for glory candied yams

Honored Contributor

Image result for glory mixed greens

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Any time you use canned greens (from a Southerner) add a pinch of sugar, a Tbsp olive oil, half-packet of Goya ham flavoring for flavor.  I add chopped onions because they are just much better with onions cooked into them.  For the most part, I never used canned greens, but when I do, this is how to flavor.  I usually use fresh or frozen greens and pick up a bundle of turnip roots, chop them into the greens for added flavor.

I would like to hear how others "doctor" their canned food to make them more palatable.  

Esteemed Contributor

That's the same way this Southerner does them!  The mixed greens are really good.  You can use a couple of strips of bacon if you don't have ham or Goya!

Honored Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

Any time you use canned greens (from a Southerner) add a pinch of sugar, a Tbsp olive oil, half-packet of Goya ham flavoring for flavor.  I add chopped onions because they are just much better with onions cooked into them.  For the most part, I never used canned greens, but when I do, this is how to flavor.  I usually use fresh or frozen greens and pick up a bundle of turnip roots, chop them into the greens for added flavor.

I would like to hear how others "doctor" their canned food to make them more palatable.  

Thank you so much @Nonametoday !  I don't think I've ever bought canned veg or greens, but this was last minute, why not try it.  It did need something, I was trying to remember what my mother used to put on greens she made, not Southern.  I think she sprinkled a little vinegar on them.

I'm going to copy down your suggestions.

I love sweet potatoes and I was surprised at how good the Glory ones came out, for being in a can and all.  I put a little more brown sugar and a few butter chunks on those, then mini marshmallows as requested by daughter.  Not homemade, but pretty good.

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

That's the same way this Southerner does them!  The mixed greens are really good.  You can use a couple of strips of bacon if you don't have ham or Goya!

Thank you @Zhills !  We will definitely add bacon.

Esteemed Contributor

Lots of the Candied Yam recipes on Pinterest begin with canned yams.  I prefer the fresh roasted ones, but if they are already fixed I'm not sure I could tell a difference. 

I am weird, I like savory sweet potatoes, not made sweeter!

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

Lots of the Candied Yam recipes on Pinterest begin with canned yams.  I prefer the fresh roasted ones, but if they are already fixed I'm not sure I could tell a difference. 

I am weird, I like savory sweet potatoes, not made sweeter!

@Zhills

I used to make a mashed sweet potato casserole for Christmas which had an egg or two and other ingredients in with the sweet potatoes.  Then it was topped with a generous streusel.  My extended family really ate that one up.  I wonder if I still have the recipe...

Honored Contributor

Re: Last Minute Southern NY Day Dinner, beckyb Thank You

@Noel7-

That all sounds so good!

What did you think of the greens?

I've seen those before but never tried them.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"