Trusted Contributor

Ladies Get Together Menu and Recipe Ideas

[ Edited ]

Hi, I am hosting a small 10 lady get together to help promote a friend who has started making these beautiful, unique soy candles.  It will be in late October at 1 PM.

Any advice on what to serve? Beverage wise I was thinking wine, and tea to make it more fun.   Also, I was thinking I would love to incorporate Fall type items.

Thank you!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Ladies Get Together Menu and Recipe Ideas

@Calcgirl   Sounds like fun.  I assume this is not a sit down dinner affair?

There are some great cooks and women with great ideas on these forums....  I am sure you will get some good ideas/suggestions.

How about chicken salad, pasta salad and some type of fruit.  There has to be dessert, well there would have to be dessert if I was in charge.

Or a cracker, cheese, meat and fruit tray.

I found an easy recipe for cheese cake that you make in a cupcake tin (with the papers). I think there was an oreo cookie in the bottom....they were good!   I would want several sweets to choose from....but I do have a sweet tooth.

Valued Contributor

MISS ANGIE’S ALMOND SWEET TEA ((AKA LADIES’ PARTY PUNCH))

https://foodforayear.com/2015/09/miss-angies-almond-sweet-tea-aka-ladies-party-punch/

Honored Contributor

Mini pecan pie tarts (tassies).  SOOO easy and people love them!  You can buy the little crusts already made sometimes, but that cream cheese crust is easy too.

Small cookies, even good bought ones are fine, and maybe a few finger sandwiches--chicken salad, pimento cheese, etc.  

Don't get too fussy with it.  Put out some nuts and some chocolate and call it a night.  

Frequent Contributor

You could serve hot apple cider to make it more fall themed. I have also seen pumpkin and apple flavored teas.  Make a nice fall salad with apples,  walnuts, lettuce,, onion and  Parmesan cheese sliced over it. Chicken salad would be a nice and easy dish. Or you could make a nice soup to go with the salad. 

Respected Contributor

One option is to tailor the menu around some of the candles (either by color or name). For instance:

apple cinnamon candle - apple crisp

cream colored candles - creamy potato soup

cranberry candles - cranberry apple herbal tea

Other ideas:

~ a variety of breads would be nice and autumnal (zuccini, banana nut, etc)

~ desserts: gingersnap cookies, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, turtle brownies

Respected Contributor

What fun.  I like @ThinkingOutLoud's idea of the tea breads.  I would not lean towards hot foods as they would scent the air and you won't want the candles to compete with the food.  even if not serving until after the presentation scents from the kitchen would be distracting/ enticing.  Maybe smoked salmon on crackers or with a salad.  Tiny chicken salad sandwiches or some other finger food sized treats.   Maybe Champagne or other sparkling wine?  If you have flutes they may be pretty nestled within the candle desplay. before you fill them.  Try to vary the hights of the candles on the table for visual appeal.  a table cloth draped over different sized  cardboard boxes underneath can make a big impact.  For autumnal effect can you get some "cheese leaves"?  or craft type leaves?  Would a black tablecloth work for a solid background to the candles and Leaves with a few baby pumpkins added in?

Have lots of fun with your get together!

Respected Contributor

I've always enjoyed foods like tea sandwiches (cucumber sandwiches) and chicken salad on croissants for gatherings like that.  Maybe incorporate the Fall theme into the desserts?  Pumpkin bread, pumpkin cupcakes, etc?

Honored Contributor

@Calcgirl I'd suggest quiche, a pasta salad, and fresh fruit bowl.  Mini croissants.

Mini cheesecake.

Honored Contributor

Is this to be their lunch or an after-lunch dessert party?  I am confused about that.

Also, rather than champagne, what about Prosecco?  It is very good and here's a suggestion:

In addition to peach nectar, other juices that blend well with Proseccoinclude orange , apple, cranberry, tangerine and even pomegranate. For a quick recipe, fill a champagne flute with any of the juices 1/2 way and top it off with equal parts Prosecco.

There are lots of recipes and to me this goes better with sweets.  Also, it's pretty, festive and fall like.  

With it I'd do some sort of cheese and cracker/bread and a few apple slices and maybe some good dried apricots or other dried fruit.  Simple and not a huge selection-oh and nuts like walnut halves in a pretty dish.  Simple but with variety.

Some small brownies and some of the plainer Pepperidge farm cookies on trays.  Make the brownies ahead, and maybe also those little pecan tarts--they are easy to make ahead and freeze and just bring out for a party!