Honored Contributor

LUCY'S STICKY HAM SANDWICHES

[ Edited ]

This recipe is also out of Siri Daly's cookbook.  I had read about similar sandwiches but have never had them so decided to give it a try. 

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 T dry mustard
1 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T light brown sugar
1 T poppy seeds
1 (12 oz) package small sweet Hawaiian rolls
1 pound sliced deli ham
1 pound Swiss cheese, sliced

Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan over med-high heat.  Reduce heat to med-low and simmer for 5 minutes.  Set aside.

Split the rolls with a bread knife before pulling them apart.  Layer ham and cheese evenly on the bottom half of the rolls.  Place in a single layer in 11 x 7 inch baking dish.  Put the top half of the rolls on top.  Pour the butter mixture over the buns using a spatula to be sure they are all coated.  Cover with foil and chill for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.  

Preheat oven 325 degrees.  Bake sandwiches covered for 10 minutes.  Uncover and bake until sandwiches are hot and the cheese is melted, about 15 minutes more.  Cut the rolls apart and serve.  

These were a big hit served with soup.  I think you could use less ham and cheese but that is up to you.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: LUCY'S STICKY HAM SANDWICHES

@DiAnneI've made these many times as a take along to parties.  They are always a hit and there are never any leftovers.  Sometimes I'll spread a very thin layer of horseradish mustard on one half of the roll for an extra kick.  Very yummy!  

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne  I think someone on David V's facebook called these funeral sandwiches (a Southern thing). I made them once after reading about them. Pretty easy and good.

Honored Contributor

@LdyBugz 

That sounds good.  I thought I had some in fridge but when I looked it was blue cheese mustard (Trader Joe's) but that might be good also.  

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom 

I have heard about them for years but never tasted them.  I am sold now!

Trusted Contributor

@DiAnneThe blue cheese mustard would be good!  You can really doctor these up with many things.  Carmelized onions, pickle chips, cheddar instead of swiss......whatever strikes your fancy!  🙂 

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne, I made a similar recipe called Cuban Sliders a few months ago. The difference was that it didn't call for the brown sugar and it didn't call for refrigerating the sandwiches for at least an hour. Question - the tops of the sandwiches got very dry when baking them uncovered. I'd have to check the recipe, but it's possible it didn't use as much melted butter. Did your sandwiches stay moist, i.e. didn't dry out when baking? Your recipe sounds better, so I think I'll try it. It must need the extra butter and time for the mixture to soak into the Hawaiian rolls.

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 

I ended up refrigerating the sandwiches about 3-1/2 hours and then they sat out about an hour before they were put in the oven.  When I was pouring all that butter over them I thought they would be soggy but they were not and they did not dry out during the uncovered portion of the baking.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @DiAnne ....I just checked my recipe and it only called for 1/4 cup butter. Your recipe makes more sense with the additional butter, brown sugar, and refrigerator time for it all to soak in. Appreciate you getting back to me! I'll be making yours!

Honored Contributor

Yes, I've made these too. They are good, but a little messy. So many variations on Pinterest.