Esteemed Contributor

LEMON GARLIC PARMESAN ORZO WITH ROASTED ASPARAGUS - From Butter Your Biscuit

We have this dish quite often when having salmon, but I've also made it to go w/ steak or pork. Sometimes I will use crumbled feta instead of the parmesan and will add a bit of fresh thyme. Comes together quicker than risotto ... which is also a family favorite.

LEMON GARLIC PARMESAN ORZO WITH ROASTED ASPARAGUS - From Butter Your Biscuit

Lemon Orzo.PNG

INGREDIENTS
1 lb Asparagus
2 teaspoons Olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cups dried orzo
4 tablespoons butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup low sodium chicken stock
2 tablespoons Lemon juice
2/3 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese -(shredded or grated)
Fresh parsley for garnish

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees

2. Cut 1-2 inches off the ends of the asparagus. Place asparagus on baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil over asparagus and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Roast for 8 minutes or until tender. Set aside and let cool. Then cut into bite size pieces.

3. Heat a pot of water on medium high heat and cook orzo to al dente, drain and set aside.

4. In a skillet on medium heat add butter, once melted add garlic and cook until fragrant about 1 minute.

5. Stir in flour and cook for 30 seconds

6. Whisk in chicken stock, lemon juice, let simmer 2-3 minutes until thickened.

7. Reduce heat and add in cream and Parmesan cheese. Whisk until combined.

8. Add orzo and asparagus toss until combined.

9. Add salt and pepper to taste, it will thicken as it sits.

10. Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and fresh chopped parsley.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

Re: LEMON GARLIC PARMESAN ORZO WITH ROASTED ASPARAGUS - From Butter Your Biscuit

Looks absolutely mouth watering...

Esteemed Contributor

Re: LEMON GARLIC PARMESAN ORZO WITH ROASTED ASPARAGUS - From Butter Your Biscuit

@DSD2 

This recipe makes a lot ... I often cut it in half or just plan on having for two meals. It really does come together quickly and tastes really good. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Trusted Contributor

@kate2357  That looks really good!  Think I might try it with broccollini.  Thanks for posting!  

Esteemed Contributor

@LdyBugz wrote:

@kate2357  That looks really good!  Think I might try it with broccollini.  Thanks for posting!  

@LdyBugz 

I think it would be great w/ brocollini. Hope you like it ... I think it's yummy. I do make w/ half and half most of the time, unless I have whipping cream for another purpose.

Valued Contributor

@kate2357   Recipe sounds amazing. I took a screen shot. Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

I made this last night with grilled steak and it was absolutely delicious!! My hubby couldn't stop eating it.  This would be a great dish to pass for a dinner party.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Pecky wrote:

I made this last night with grilled steak and it was absolutely delicious!! My hubby couldn't stop eating it.  This would be a great dish to pass for a dinner party.  

@Pecky 

Oh how nice your dh liked this rice dish. It does pair well with grilled steak. Sounds like your whole meal was fabulous. 

The Butter Your Biscuit site has a lot of great, easy to make recipes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kate2357 

I used to make a very similar dish. The difference was that mine had chunks of chicken. I used to make it frequently but I misplaced the recipe.

Thanks, for posting the recipe. It is exciting to have a recipe the entire family will eat. Thanks again for the recipe.

Occasional Contributor

Made this last night and we loved it. Will definitely make again. Thank you.,