Honored Contributor

You all probably have your favorite internet cooks, let me tell you about one.

Brenda Gantt is a southern cook, from Alabama

She runs a B&B.

She posts a video pretty much every day with great dishes of all kinds with a southern twist.

Her FB page is Cooking with Brenda Gantt

She is scheduled to be with Kelly on Friday.

Check her out.   Set your DVR.

Respected Contributor

Re: Kelly Clarkson 09/25/2020

Can't bear KC. She has ruined The Voice for me. Yells and interupts constantly- and it got her a talk show! Wouldn't think of watching her talk show.

Honored Contributor

You couldn't pay me to watch that loud mouth.

Honored Contributor

Thanks @software.  I'm not familiar with her, but I live in AL and love me some Southern food.  Who cares whether I like KC or not?  It's not really about her.

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

She runs a B&B.

She posts a video pretty much every day with great dishes of all kinds with a southern twist.

@software :  Where in Alabama is she from?

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom I Googled her.  She graduated in Tuscaloosa, but apparently is in Andalusia.  If you Google Brenda Gantt Biscuits, this video is what apparently made her famous.  Interesting way to cook biscuits.  She actually keeps all her flour in a big bowl, scoops some out into a sifter and sifts it back into that bowl and then pours in buttermilk into a nest she made and then squishes in the Crisco.  I can't fathom me doing it that way, but surprisingly, the milk does not mess up all the flour in the bowl.  

I can make some good buttermilk biscuits, but the kitchen is a mess afterwards.  I'm a really messy cook.

Honored Contributor

She's In Andalusia, below Montgomery

@Hoovermom wrote:

@software wrote:

She runs a B&B.

@software :  Where in Alabama is she from?

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Mmmmmmmm, biscuits!

I'll be over for some shortly...will they still be warm?  Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

Until I taste those biscuits, I'm not using her method.

So I guess I'll need to stay at her B&B to find out!

The one thing I know about biscuits is this, it takes practice.

Her cooking looks good and some of her recipes are what I call old southern recipes.

For example, I make my baked beans the same way she does.

But what I enjoy the most is listening to her talk the entire time about everything under the sun.    She seems genuine.   

Check out her video frying chicken thighs - she sets the stove on fire.

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Hoovermom I Googled her.  She graduated in Tuscaloosa, but apparently is in Andalusia.  If you Google Brenda Gantt Biscuits, this video is what apparently made her famous.  Interesting way to cook biscuits.  She actually keeps all her flour in a big bowl, scoops some out into a sifter and sifts it back into that bowl and then pours in buttermilk into a nest she made and then squishes in the Crisco.  I can't fathom me doing it that way, but surprisingly, the milk does not mess up all the flour in the bowl.  

I can make some good buttermilk biscuits, but the kitchen is a mess afterwards.  I'm a really messy cook.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

Until I taste those biscuits, I'm not using her method.

So I guess I'll need to stay at her B&B to find out!

The one thing I know about biscuits is this, it takes practice.

Her cooking looks good and some of her recipes are what I call old southern recipes.

For example, I make my baked beans the same way she does.

But what I enjoy the most is listening to her talk the entire time about everything under the sun.    She seems genuine.   

Check out her video frying chicken thighs - she sets the stove on fire.

@Icegoddess wrote:

@software  I never learned how to make fried chicken the normal way, so mine always ends up perfectly done on the outside and still raw on the inside.  The only way I can do firied chicken is in a deep fryer. 

I want to check out her dumplings to see what style she makes.  

You know how I make baked beans?  I pour them out of a can, add some barbecue sauce to them, put some bacon on top, and stick them in the oven for about 45 minutes.

The way I do biscuits is to cut the fat in and then add the buttermilk, but I don't do it in the same bowl with the flour I plan to keep.  I have used a glass jar to cut them before and didn't have much trouble getting them out.  I noticed she twists even though every other source I've seen says not to twist.  I do put them close together, but I also do that with the canned ones that say to put 2" apart.  I use a regular cast iron skillet.  I like the crust the sides of the skillet put on them.  My least favorite ones are the middle ones.  I was surprised she didn't put a little bacon grease on the top though.  I like mine a little more brown than she did too.