Honored Contributor

Re: Kelly Clarkson 09/25/2020

@software I'm not really a fan of meatloaf, but hubby loves it.  I can't make gravy either.  I need to start saving some bacon grease.  I don't cook bacon that often though.  Just need to find something to keep it in.  All the keepers I have seen sold are kinda large.  I guess just a glass jar would do, but then it wouldn't screen out the little bits. 

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@software I'm not really a fan of meatloaf, but hubby loves it.  I can't make gravy either.  I need to start saving some bacon grease.  I don't cook bacon that often though.  Just need to find something to keep it in.  All the keepers I have seen sold are kinda large.  I guess just a glass jar would do, but then it wouldn't screen out the little bits. 

I use a small jar, I don't need much bacon grease, I don't use it a lot.   For my summer vegetables I use solid Crisco, the flavor is mild.  I want to taste my vegetable, not bacon.  I use a coffee filter to drain out the bits.I have a small sieve, I drop the filter down into the sieve and pour.   

I watched the meatloaf video.   Except for peppers & onions, she used no seasoning.  That's a pass for me, I like flavor in my meatloaf.   I have used some canned sloppy joe mixture in mine.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

I just use an old coffee mug for my bacon grease.  I cover it w/ that Press and Seal and store in the back of the fridge.  It doesn't smell and keeps forever.

I actually like the bits though!

Honored Contributor

I have been making the Blue Jean Chef's No Roll biscuit recipe for quite a while now.

They taste FAB and are WAY less messy than any others I have made.

https://bluejeanchef.com/recipes/buttermilk-biscuits/

they do use buttermilk and self-rising flour (which I always have), but she lists subs.

The butter should be VERY cold or frozen so you can grate it right into the dry.

You don't need to pluck around with the butter in your hands.  I never had fun w/ a pastry cutter either.  Grating the frozen/cold butter makes it so easy!

When it is time to roll them w/ your hands and coat them w/ reg flour....I don't use a cookie sheet....I use a large stainless bowl.  Just scoop them out, roll a bit, toss them around in the bowl.  A cookie sheet was a little messy I thought.  A bowl has nice high sides so flour isn't flipping all over.

I miss Meredith on Q, but she has wonderful email recipes every week that I get.