Contributor

KFC coleslaw dressing recipe?

Hello All!

Would anyone have a recipe that would mirror the taste of the KFC coleslaw?

Mom loves the stuff but it's outrageously priced...I can duplicate the look and texture of the cabbage and carrot but haven't spotted a recipe the would be like the KFC taste.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

New Contributor

Re: KFC coleslaw dressing recipe?

About 15 years ago an employee brought in a KFC operators manual he picked up at a garage sale!  Of course all of us in the office glommed onto it to copy recipes.  Following is the original recipe along with my cutdown version to make about 2cups

KFC Slaw Dressing

Original                                                   2 cups

1 gallon                   Miracle Whip.                1 C

4 C                          Tarragon vinegar.           1/4 C

Mix these together then add:

7 pounds                  Sugar.                           7/8 C. (3/4 C + 2 T)

5 T                             Salt.                             Scant 1t  (9/10 t)

4C                             Oil.                               1/4 C

Blend 1 minute on speed 1, scrape bowl, blend 3 minutes on speed 2.  (Sugar needs to be dissolved)

Refrigerate until vegetables are chopped.

It did not specify what type of oil, I use vegetable or peanut oil.  The blending I assume is in a mixer which is what I use.  I think the key to the flavor is the tarragon vinegar which can be purchased at any grocery.  Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

@mame101

you mentioned sugar needs to be dissolved.......do you mean before adding to the mixture and if so with what?

TIA

New Contributor

No, just mix until sugar is dissolved into dressing

Honored Contributor

I was just looking online for a cole slaw recipe that was good. Thank you so much for posting this! My family (and I) are getting tired to the same one I've been making for years! I'm excited to try this! Cat Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I will have to try this.  I am finishing the last of the KFC cole slaw I bought from the restaurant (always get extra) tonight.

I love to make a Betty Crocker Pasta Salad and throw in a container of the KFC coleslaw with with for a change of pace.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

My husband loves KFC coleslaw and yes, it is expensive.  I will give the recipe a try, he will be thrilled if it is as good, thanks!

Honored Contributor

The unmistakeable physical reaction I experience with Cracker Barrel, KFC and Bob Evans coleslaw tells me there is milk in the dressing; I never eat anyone else's coleslaw. I am highly allergic to milk, and know instantly when it is an ingredient, even if someone "forgets" to tell me.  

Honored Contributor

@mame101TY -  I can't remember having KFC's version, but I know my mother always made her cole slaw with Miracle Whip and vinegar and I loved hers, so I intend to try this recipe.

Honored Contributor

Their cole slaw is good, but it's very sweet.