Honored Contributor

KETO CHICKEN BROCCOLI BACON RANCH CASSEROLE

[ Edited ]

I made up my own recipe for a casserole tonight and it was a huge hit!  

KETO CHICKEN BROCCOLI BACON RANCH CASSEROLE 

16 oz. cooked chicken breast meat (rotisserie is super convenient, if you can eat it)

2 cups fresh broccoli, cooked to fork tender and drained

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1/2 cup ranch dressing 

1/2 cup sour cream

1/4 cup Duke’s mayo

1/4 cup bacon crumbles 

Preheat oven to 350*

Prepare 8”x 8” baking dish

Cut up the cooked chicken breast meat into bite size pieces.  In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken and broccoli.  In a separate bowl, mix the dressing, sour cream, and mayo together.  An optional addition at this point would be a light sprinkle of dehydrated onion flakes.  Add the sauce mixture to the chicken and broccoli and stir to combine.  Stir in 2/3 cup of the cheese.  Spread mixture in the prepared pan.  Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.  Sprinkle bacon crumbles over the top.  Bake about 20 mins. To heat through and melt the cheese.

Makes 4 servings 

Honored Contributor

Re: KETO CHICKEN BROCCOLI BACON RANCH CASSEROLE

Probably good but very heavy in fat and calories. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Probably good but very heavy in fat and calories. 

Keto is supposed to have a lot of good fats, moderate protein, and low carbs.  

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch, My DB has lost a good deal of weight on the Keto diet.  Because of all the protein he is eating, he does not feel hungry.  It looks like a much faster way to drop weight than traditional diets.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PamfromCT wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch, My DB has lost a good deal of weight on the Keto diet.  Because of all the protein he is eating, he does not feel hungry.  It looks like a much faster way to drop weight than traditional diets.  

@PamfromCT  DH and I have been living a low carb/keto lifestyle since Sept 2018 and we couldn't be healthier. For us, and millions of others, it is not a diet, but how we will be living the rest of our lives.

Here's a link to a thread I started in 2019...about 7 months after we started the new lifestyle that has a wealth of info I shared in the OP...

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Wellness/For-those-that-believe-in-low-fat-diets/td-p/5353543

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PamfromCT wrote:

@PamfromCT   Good for him!  The ketogenic way if eating is 75% good fat, 20% protein, 5% carbs.  Done correctly, it’s the fat that should be keeping one satisfied.  Too much protein could backfire unless the person is highly physical and can tolerate a little extra. My husband and I have been keto since June 2019.  It’s our permanent lifestyle.  I also do an 18:6 intermittent fasting schedule 99% of the time. I’m healthier than I’ve been most of my adult life.  Sore knees are gone, pre-diabetes has been reversed, blood pressure is better than ever, and I’ve lost 132 lbs. eating great food!  Give him a high five from me!

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you @JeanLouiseFinch and @Susan Louise !

Thought I’d mention my DB has a “diet partner,”. DB retired in January from a long and stressful career.  He and a newly retired college professor friend, are both on Keto and meet about five mornings a week to walk outside weather permitting.  DB has said health concerns are first.  Said looks do count some, but he does not think he’ll ever be an underwear model.  LOL. Both are divorced.

I am really considering the Keto diet myself.  I had some health issues several years ago that left me inactive, and I sure gained weight.  I am 76 and want to lose some weight, but it’s so hard.  I bought the “Keto for Dummies” book on Amazon, and I also have DB for advice.  I guess I’ll give the diet a go.

Thanks for your encouragement.  You two are amazing.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

Thank you @JeanLouiseFinch and @Susan Louise !

Thought I’d mention my DB has a “diet partner,”. DB retired in January from a long and stressful career.  He and a newly retired college professor friend, are both on Keto and meet about five mornings a week to walk outside weather permitting.  DB has said health concerns are first.  Said looks do count some, but he does not think he’ll ever be an underwear model.  LOL. Both are divorced.

I am really considering the Keto diet myself.  I had some health issues several years ago that left me inactive, and I sure gained weight.  I am 76 and want to lose some weight, but it’s so hard.  I bought the “Keto for Dummies” book on Amazon, and I also have DB for advice.  I guess I’ll give the diet a go.

Thanks for your encouragement.  You two are amazing.

@PamfromCT  PLEASE copy/paste the info I gave in my OP in that thread...seriously. It would also mean the world to me if you could find the time and watch that long video I mentioned 1st...and watch completely. It really is a stepping stone for folks to begin to understand a load of stuff, like how we have been spoonfed an upside-down food pyramid all our lives, and results of Tom's journey. If you skip over any of the video, you really will miss key points. Honestly, when DH & I watched it for the 1st time, our jaws were on the floor.

Those 3 books I mentioned will also be very helpful on how things really are, why we should be eating this way, and the 'Lies my Dr Told Me'; is another eye opener.

We are pretty upset that we got on the bandwagon in the 70's/80's when info about a keto lifestyle came out...the band wagon of folks who thought eating this way was just a crazy fad like a grapefruit diet or the like.

If we had been eating this way instead, we would have never had developed all the health issues we had...madness.

I'm happy to hear you will give it a go. I promise you that within just a few weeks you will start to feel better...inside and out Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan Louise, I thank you for your recommended reading.  I will certainly follow through.

I am certainly open to different ways of thinking about my diet.  Many years ago, when my son was small, he was always very active but was having a hard time settling down in school.  He was diagnosed as hyperactive, not extremely so.

But enough for us to be concerned.  My DM’s friend, a retired teacher, recommended exploring the Feingold diet.

The theory of Dr. Feingold was that certain children were allergic to many of the artificial colors and flavors in the American diet.  Using a typical allergy elimination process, I found out what my son negativity responded to.  It took time and effort to learn, but our whole family followed the diet.

His teacher called me from school to say he seemed much more settled and focused.  She had no idea I had modified his diet.  To make a long story short, this opened my eyes to question things.  He is in his late 40s now, a good husband and father, well educated and doing well in his chosen field.

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

I made your recipe for dinner tonight and it was easy and tasty. I actually made half of your recipe and it was the perfect amount for my husband and me.   I have a similar recipe but it uses cream cheese and ranch dressing rather than the sour cream, mayo and ranch dressing.  We’re not on a strict keto diet but have cut way down on carbs including sugar.   Thanks for your post.