Honored Contributor

Re: KALE...TERRIBLE...WHAT TO DO WITH IT...HELP

[ Edited ]

@Flatbush  I buy fresh kale...  then I put it in the food processor and grind it up.  Just the leaves, NOT   THE STEMS. The stems add bitterness to the kale....  It will keep in the fridge for a few days. Or you could just grind it as you need it  as well!

I use the ground kale to add to salad...in soup....with other steamed veggies.   I think if you grind it up you will enjoy it❤️🙂

Honored Contributor

@Flatbush found this recipe today

Easy Spring Bean Salad Recipe

Ingredients

4 cups hearty greens such as arugula and kale
2 cups Paisley Farm Four or Five Bean Salad, drained
1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
¼ cup Balsamic vinegar
½ cup olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
4oz goat cheese, crumbled
¼ cup sunflower seeds

Instructions

1. In a large salad bowl,
  2. toss together greens, Paisley Farm Bean Salad, and tomatoes.
  3. Drizzle on vinegar and oil,
  4. then season with salt and pepper to taste before tossing once more.
  5. Top with goat cheese and sunflower seeds.
  6. Serve and enjoy as a quick lunch or easy dinner side dish!
Trusted Contributor

@phoenixbrd  I tried this kale, avocado , lemon salad- It's delicious.. Thanks!  Didn't have pine nuts, so used pistachios. You are right- the key is chopping the kale small and removing the stem.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

Wash Kale. Spin dry or do whatever you need to get it very dry. Spread kale on a large cookie sheet, spray with just a tiny bit of olive oil, then salt it.  Cook it on 350 for 15 minutes. Watch to be sure it doesn't burn.

You can add garlic or spice it up any way you want instead of salt. My son made it with some hot sauce that he put in a spray bottle. 

@CalminHeart   @Flatbush 

That's what I do ... the baking seems to reduce the bitterness of the greens.  The only thing I would add is after you remove the pan of kale from the oven, let it sit for about 5 minutes.  Other wise, the chips may fall apart.

Kale greens can be thrown into a smoothie that also has fruit in it ... no stems, please.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@justashopper wrote:

Hi @Flatbush 

I also find kale to be very bitter.  Until I learned this trick-- you have to massage the leaves.  When you do this they release their bitterness.  If you don't massage the leaves with your hands, you do with your teeth and that's why it can taste so bitter.

I buy kale in a bag (not a bunch.)  I keep it in the fridge until I am ready to use it.  Then I rinse and massage the amount I am going to use.  I have no problem eating raw kale since.  

@justashopper 

LOL ... sounds ridiculous to massage kale, but I have also heard from somewhere else that it works.  Sounds a bit silly, though.  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@violet runner  Yea!  Isn't it the best...the pistachios sound delicious!

@violet runner wrote:

@phoenixbrd  I tried this kale, avocado , lemon salad- It's delicious.. Thanks!  Didn't have pine nuts, so used pistachios. You are right- the key is chopping the kale small and removing the stem.